Questions to ask custom wetsuit manufacturer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm going to be ordering a custom wetsuit. I'd like to know what types of questions I should ask, features to consider, any lessons learned from more experienced divers.

Some info about what I plan to get:
-5 mm full wetsuit
-Wetwear is currently my top choice based on the good things I've read here
-I need a hood, do I need to get that custom with the wetsuit or can I just buy one at my LDS?
-Diving will be off Rhode Island, NC quarries and shore, tropical vacations
-Front zip or back zip and why?
-Easy on features, worth the extra or no?

Thanks!

Are you planning to use the same suit for both New England and tropical?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Talk with Connie at Wetwear. She will likely ask you lots of questions to get the best suit for you. She will go over the different zip styles, the temps you will be diving, and many other things. That is the benefit of going through them. They are a class outfit and the suits are great.

for me, back zip is easiest to get in/out, leg and arm zips were worth the cost, get the seals on the arms, legs and neck. Zippered hood is a plus. Think about pockets now. Front of the thigh is best location, not side. They do other pockets too.

Not sure how I feel about pockets. What sorts of items would a beginner ow diver put in a pocket? I'm thinking less stuff = better trim and buoyancy. I don't want to have a bunch of stuff in addition to all the necessary gear.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

Are you planning to use the same suit for both New England and tropical?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes. My RI dives will be at and around fort wetherill. My LDS said in the height of summer it would be fine, that is what she uses. Most of my main diving will be in tropical locales and maybe NC here and there.

Ask what neoprene they use.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2014 at 08:59 PM ----------

Yamato neoprene is very high quality, possibly the best.

I bought a harveys farmer john. Here are some of the ?s i asked

How much equivilant thickness will seals provide. they said about 2mm-3mm in thicker suits
How much stretch does the suit have. In case i gain or loose poundage. The more stretch the less need for a custom job.
How much seal do the seals have. ( I have to manually flood my suit and nothing leaks when i get out of the water. Have to open ankle to drain.)
A farmer john being a 2 piece..... is that still 3,mm on the core or 6mm. 6mm on the core.
How much for costom sizing.
Thermal equivilant to other suits. ie your 5 mm is same as others 7 or 9 mil.
Bouyancy compressability with depth.
Can I mix 2 piece suit parts. xl botton and xxl top.
Difference in 2 vs 3 way stretch.
How much for things like knee pads pockets ect.

By the time i was done i got a farmer john that i could wear the shorty top only or the two piece configuration. It was super toasty in 70f water and it has plenty of stretch if i get smaller or larger. Sounds like a lot of questions but when you are paying the price's manufactures ask you cant ask too many questions.

Hope this helps some

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom