Questions regarding some steel 100s.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennenrkc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I tentatively bought a pair of PST E-Series steel one hundreds ate a garage sale today.

They were last VIP (I think that is the term) in march of 2007.
They have some slight surface (white rusting) on the outside the bulk of which I think I could remove with Emory cloth.
I paid $100 each subject to them passing inspection.

Did I do ok or should I try to run away? It was sort of a split decision, I actually saw them driving after doing my drysuit course. I ran them back to the shop and they were going to look at them and get back to me in a couple days though I probably could call them and pick them up tomorrow if I made a really bad deal before I throw any more money away.

Thanks.

You'll be fine. They'll pass hydro and you got a good deal.

Sounds fine but DO NOT use emory or any other kind of abrasive on them. A little white oxide is not a problem, just scurb them down with a brush, rinse and take what you get, anything more abrasive and you start to remove the galvanizing....a bad thing.

That's about $250 off of the going rate for a new cylinder so it's a definite "buy" in my book. Being E series you should have the DIN/Yoke valve so it's even more of a no brainer.

As Herman said, no avrasives, just a gently cleaning for loose oxide/salt scale. Other than that just enjoy the timeless patina.

Pete

I tentatively bought a pair of PST E-Series steel one hundreds ate a garage sale today. . . . I paid $100 each subject to them passing inspection. . . . Did I do ok or should I try to run away?
Based on the information provided, it is very probably that you got an outstanding deal. So, yes, you did OK, you did VERY OK. (I need to slow down when driving by yard sales, just in case I see some cylinders).

If they were last VIP'd in 2007, presumably they were last hydo'd at that time, or before. So, they will need hydrostatic retesting. No big deal.

Lucky you!

The good part of the deal is that you can inspect them (ie VIP) before dropping the cash. Steelies sitting for a long time could be really good (if they had clean air in them and still do) or really bad (if they had 0psi or humid air). And that also depends on what their born on date was. If it was 30 yrs ago, hmm caution is warrented. If it was 2007, then all the better....

The good part of the deal is that you can inspect them (ie VIP) before dropping the cash. Steelies sitting for a long time could be really good (if they had clean air in them and still do) or really bad (if they had 0psi or humid air). And that also depends on what their born on date was. If it was 30 yrs ago, hmm caution is warrented. If it was 2007, then all the better....

Actually Steel tanks 30 yrs old are still kids. Two of my LP 72's are from 53 and 57 respectively. So both are officially senior citizens. And both just passed hydro. Again.

Actually Steel tanks 30 yrs old are still kids. Two of my LP 72's are from 53 and 57 respectively. So both are officially senior citizens. And both just passed hydro. Again.

I knew someone would have to say something at that. But really Jim, you? With a sample size of 2? Please. Do you own a Pinto as well?

Do you disagree with "caution is warranted"?

I knew someone would have to say something at that. But really Jim, you? With a sample size of 2? Please. Do you own a Pinto as well?

Do you disagree with "caution is warranted"?

A certain amount of caution is warranted with any tank, but steel tanks that are not abused can have a very long life. Yet, a year of abuse and neglect can put it in the graveyard regardless of its born-on date.

Caution is always warranted, a couple of year old tank treated badly can be unsafe but age is no reason to avoid a tank, esp steel. Jims is not the only example, I have several from the 60s and have lots of vintage friends with 50/60/70s tanks in service. There are plenty of industrial gas cylinders- which are basically the same thing- from pre WW2 still in service. I saw a mid 40s tank a few weeks back that had helium (kids balloon tank) in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom