questions for diving in travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dementid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to wanting to do a few days worth of diving and maybe camping thinking there at travis currently have single lp95 tank I also have a set of two tanks either lp104 or maybe a lp108 just don have the second reg and spg to use this I currently dive a divrite transpack with I believe the adventurer wing on it. If i wanted to try doing some dives in travis mabey to the shaker plant or other neet stuff what might I need. I do not have the ability to go dry unless can find a suit to rent or borrow:confused:

this is somthing I am thinking of doing in the next couple of months the one key for any one willing to help out is I have only been down to 100 ft once

Well, the only one I know of doing trips out to the shaker plant is Lake Travis Scuba. I would wait a bit for the water to warm up unless you get a dry suit, last I checked the water temp was 53. As for the depth, sounds like a good excuse to check around to see if a shop is doing an adanced course or a deep specialty course out there. Then you not only get to die the site, you get to do it under the guidance of an instructor. Travis is not the place to be adding depth to narcosis without experience.

Mike

Then you not only get to die the site, you get to do it under the guidance of an instructor.
Mike

I don't think most instructors let you do that do they? :idk:
LOL

Ok, I hope everyone knows what I meant. The computer I was using has issues with the v key, as you can see.

Although they only told me I need to bring back the same number of divers...nothing about them being the same divers...

Mike

have single lp95 tank I also have a set of two tanks either lp104 or maybe a lp108 just don have the second reg and spg to use this I currently dive a divrite transpack with I believe the adventurer wing on it. If i wanted to try doing some dives in travis mabey to the shaker plant or other neet stuff what might I need. I do not have the ability to go dry unless can find a suit to rent or borrow:confused:

Hi dementid. I'm not totally clear what you are saying here. Are you thinking of doubling up steel tanks ??

Dont want to rain on your bonfire too much but Travis is pretty cold at the moment,low 50's, Most likely pitch black below 30 feet and the viz is probably only a couple of feet. Personally I would not dream of diving there in a wetsuit at the moment.

Drop me a line if/when you have some firm plans. Maybe I could meet you out there.
The Shaker plant is pretty neat but its must be getting fairly deep now that the lake is coming up. You need a boat to get there. Lake Travis Scuba is the obvious choice.

You can dive Travis wet but that will depend on your body type. I would recommend a 7mm full, but a 7mm farmer john is preferred. Of course a drysuit is highly recommended.

The venture wing you might not have enough lift for the double 104s you have. I saw the post of the tanks you purchased. OMS currently uses Blue Steel Valves, you should be able to get some plugs and break down the doubles into singles.

I do have some regular Thermo Valves laying around, when I doubled up my 100s and 80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom