Questions about vision and suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcxd45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OK, couple of weird questions here, the first is on vision.

I am a fairly new diver in OR and we're not known for good vis, when I descend the anchor line all I can see is the line going off into the green.

When I get to the bottom I see about 2sq feet of the bottom then a second later I can see for 6-10 feet and make out shapes past that.

Why the delay and is there a way to train your eyes or brain to see sooner?

Second question, whats up with the codpiece on freedive suits....some kind of a batman thing?

Vision, sounds liked your eyes are adjusting to the low light at depth. Close on eye on the way down, when you get there you'll only have one eye adjusting to the low light and you should be able to see with the other. Don't know what about the codpiece never had a "freediving" suit.

Viz can vary with depth due to light penetration, water temperature, stuff in the water, and other things. Often a reference point (like the bottom) will seem to increase the range of vision when in fact it is the same as in the open water. The idea of your eyes"adjusting" is also a factor as you go from daylight to very subdued or limited light. No need, and I know no method, to "train" for better range of vision. Just be an active diver, and you will find all senses acclimate to being under water to some degree.
DivemasterDennis

By codpiece I think you mean the beavertail used to "close off" the bottom of the jacket on a two piece farmer-john and jacket wetsuit.

I mean like this....like I said I keep thinking batman
camo wetsuit.jpg

Camouflage suit, no wonder you're having viz problems :rofl3:

The beavertail or codpiece thingie is for Oystering. It will keep your Oysters warm but
mostly to keep your top from sliding upwards on your torso.

Obviously, since you can get it to hang straight-out and sideways like in the picture,
it is way too stiff or just an extremely lightweight suit?

I don't know how:hm:to fix that.

Second question, whats up with the codpiece on freedive suits....some kind of a batman thing?

It's not quite what it looks like there.

Today's suit some in 2 common flavors. there is the one piece jumpsuit that may be augmented with a vest that likely has an integrated hood. There is also The (farmer) John (or Jane) and jacket set. Today's jackets usually include short legs that go to mid thing. this provides 2X insulation on the groin and other core areas. More here.

If you go back a few decades the common suit was a high wasted pair of pants and a jacket. The jacket overlapped the pants down to about the hip and then what is usually called a beaver tail hung from the back and was clasped in the front. This kept the jacket from riding up and preserved that overlap for warmth. The same design is carried on by some brands especially those catering to free divers and vintage enthusiasts.

As for the vision, you may need to temper your expectations for long distance viewing when diving locally.

Pete

Just throwing a guess out there, but maybe your passing through a thermocline, so its blurry for a few moments and then becomes clear? I've done a lot of cold water diving in really bad vis, where its sometimes hard to see anything else but you hand in front of your face. I've never noticed the phenomena you're referring to, outside of it coming from a thermocline. Thermoclines can be at any depth they want to be and if for some reason they're really low (towards the bottom), they can for sure mess up vision when your near them.

Vis can change due to thermoclines, mixing of different temperature waters at the edge of thermoclines, and/or local variations of "stuff" in the water---algae, plankton, sand etc.

Dive long enough and you'll get used to it. Personally, I prefer green CA water---and all the life in it---to the empty clear water column of tropical diving. I like the warm'th and colorful reefs & animals of warm water diving, of course, but green water full of fish & kelp is just cozier.

Bring a light if it's dark enough for dark adaptation of your eyes to be an issue.

Another thought on the vision thing, your dive mask acts like a +0.5 perscription lens. What you might be experience is your brain trying to figure out things are slightly different spacially than they are used to seeing. My guess is that what ever it is, you will hardly notice it after a while.

Back
Top Bottom