Questions about rigging my bp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furner

Contributor
Reaction score
First off, where is a good place online to order a hog rigging kit, with webbing, rings, all the goodies?

Second, what is the prefered way to trim excess webbing? Heat a knife and cut? Cut with shears and melt end?

Thanks!

Furner:
First off, where is a good place online to order a hog rigging kit, with webbing, rings, all the goodies?

Second, what is the prefered way to trim excess webbing? Heat a knife and cut? Cut with shears and melt end?

Thanks!

I trim with a knife and burn the ends...

As for a good place to buy, there are several...I use a Dive-Rite harness and backplate setup.

Good luck!

If you buy a BP, it should come with all the webbing and D rings, except the crotch strap which is generally sold separately.

Cutting with a hot knife is the best way, but, I've been using a razor blade then doing the melt thing.

actually...i have a whole setup, i got the package deal from dive rite express, but i was quite tired when i ordered, and i got the deluxe harness. as deluxe as it might be, its not really what i want in the long run. ill dive it for now, but i would like to order a one-piece webbing set.

i just didnt know if for a harness set if someone had a better hardware set that others.

Just order the kit from Dive Rite express. They have a standard harness kit. Myself, I went to the Military Surplus store and got my webbing for my crotch strap. Got the D rings at my LDS. Diving the setup for the first time this weekend.

Furner:

Thanks!

Furner,

We sell a one piece harness http://deepseasupply.com/page6.html, although most prefer our other harness.

Lots of ways to deal with webbing. Cut it with sharp scissors and seal with a lighter.

Buy a cheap 25-50 watt soldering iron and dedicate it to webbing sealing, tip use the side of the "barrel" and slide it across the end of the webbing. Do it outside, smells BAD!

I use a big hot knife, which is nothing more than a piece of "NI-Chrom" wire across the output of a big stepdown transformer. Pretty easy to build and cheap to if you have access to electronic surplus type goodies. (If your not comfortable screwing with 120 VAC don't do it.)

Search the web for sailing making suppliers or plastic fabrication suppliers and you will find lots of hot knife info.

Regards,

Tobin

I've had good luck with Reef Scuba for accessories
http://www.reefscuba.com./

You can cut the webbing a couple of ways. 1. Cut with a good pair of sharp scissors. Use a plumbers blow torch to melt the ends. While it's still hot set it down on a piece of metal or piece of tile and then with a metal ruler or bar, flatten out the melted ends. This is very effective since it will push the the melted nylon back on itself and give you a smooth very durable seal.
2. Heat a smooth edged knife that you don't care about with a blow torch and draw it through the webbing. Make sure the knife is nearly glowing.

doesn't FredT have everything you need?

I just ordered a length of webbing from diveriteexpress, plus a few more SS belt slides. Since I already have plenty of hardware with this useless "deluxe" harness, I should be all set.
On a related note, I have determined that dive rites "deluxe harness" is near worthless. It takes forever and a day to try and make any adjustments to anything, because you have different pieces of webbing running together through the slides. i cant wait to get my piece of webbing and do this the right way, I cant stand this deluxe harness, period.

Wendy:
doesn't FredT have everything you need?
Depends on whether you like rectangular vs round profile rings. Also, I have three of his plates and I am going to a softer crotch strap cause his webbing is really stiff and I am seeing wear on the drysuit crotch area due to the stiffness of the webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom