Questions about Buying Used Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MeiLing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking into buying some used tanks from a buddy who's been out of diving for some time. They're AL80's and are probably about 15 years old. Obviously the deal would be contingent on them passing VIP's and hydro's. Anything else that I should look out for? Also, what would be a fair price for each?

Or would I just be better off paying the $200 apiece for new tanks?

As long as 15 doesn't turn into 20 and you're into the problematic 1987 era, it depends on the price he wants. You're getting fairly deep into the life of an aluminum. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $100 *after* hydro and viz, hopefully less.

The noose is really starting to tighten regarding the older 6351 alloy cylinders. I just heard of a local shop that now will not fill them. This is not a goodness expression of my own but the fact is that if shops will not fill them they readily they loose usefulness.

Here is a recent tread worth reading.

As Reefhound said if it's 15, not 20 years old then you are OK.

With you buying the cylinder then taking the risk on Hydro, VIP & valve rebuild $15 - $25 is a nice price to shoot for. Other wise try to negotiate to something like a $75 total cost to you pending hydro and vis and the valve being OK. That spreads the risk out.

Pete

In Hawaii, I wouldn't pay any more than $75 for a used Al80, $200 for a HP steel tank.

I agree with $75. When I said $100 I meant I might consider that under certain conditions, i.e. from a friend who used them sparingly and treated well. Any higher is an automatic negative.

It comes to down I would consider these tanks to be on their last hydro cycle so what is their usage value for a few years.

If buying new is an option, I wouldn't buy used. Used 80s go for about $40 around here. I wouldn't pay any more than that. By the time you pay $40 for the tank, $30 for a hydro and $10 for a VIP, you're better off getting a new one.

So how would an $200 new tank be a better bargain than an $80 used tank with new hydro & VIP?

fishb0y:
So how would an $200 new tank be a better bargain than an $80 used tank with new hydro & VIP?

New tanks (AL 80s) don't cost $200 here. I bought 2 last year for $130 each. Any time used approaches 50% of new, I buy new. That's just me.

fishb0y:

Easy. You get it on sale for $125 or maybe $150 with a years worth of free fills.

I'd stay away from anything Al with a first hydro before 1990. Some shops may find it is too hard to remember 1989 should be OK. :D

A lesson on buying gear in Hawaii. Shipping tanks from the mainland is at least $30 or more if via UPS. The cheapest tank I've seen was $175 and I cannot think of a place that would give a year of free air for a tank. So let me do this again, $175 > $75

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom