Questions about Buying Used Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
The noose is really starting to tighten regarding the older 6351 alloy cylinders. I just heard of a local shop that now will not fill them. This is not a goodness expression of my own but the fact is that if shops will not fill them they readily they loose usefulness.

This has pretty much become the rule now. Here is a link regarding 6351 tanks, from PSI.

http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf97/411928_web.pdf

It essentialy is saying that these tanks were once rated for a service life of 40 years. But because of Sustained Load Cracking that has been noted during Visual Inspections, 40 years is no longer suitable. There have been 13 documented ruptures of these tanks.

awap:
I'd stay away from anything Al with a first hydro before 1990. Some shops may find it is too hard to remember 1989 should be OK. :D

As I type this response, I am looking at a Luxfer cylinder with an original hydro of 06/89 with a neck crack transversing 5 threads. This cylinder was hydro and Visual Eddy inspected less than three weeks ago and passed all tests. The crack was caught during our subsequent visual inspection prior to filling. It was returned to the hydro facility and failed a second Visual Eddy test. Luxfer claims that the last cylinder made from 6351-T6 was 01/88. They further claim that the current alloy will not sustain SLC cracks at the neck.

Something is wrong with the information provided here. I don't know what, but it would be difficult to criticize shops that simply feel it is too risky to continue to fill these cylinders.

Phil Ellis

DeepSeaExplorer:
New tanks (AL 80s) don't cost $200 here. I bought 2 last year for $130 each. Any time used approaches 50% of new, I buy new. That's just me.

New tanks DO cost around $200 here! And I think that all the shops here are pretty much getting them from the same distributor.

I've looked at gear prices on the net and priced at four different stores here. Shops here are nearly the same as the prices on the net before shipping. We get killed on UPS here so it really doesn't make sense to even try to buy off the net here.

Thanks all for your advice!

DeepSeaExplorer:
New tanks (AL 80s) don't cost $200 here. I bought 2 last year for $130 each. Any time used approaches 50% of new, I buy new. That's just me.

Where is "here" and have you checked prices lately? Aluminum tanks have shot up in price in the last year, in most places.

Just bought two new tanks - $139 / ea, in Vermont. The used were $85, so I'd rather pay a little extra, and get new.

CFDAlden:
Just bought two new tanks - $139 / ea, in Vermont. The used were $85, so I'd rather pay a little extra, and get new.
Great, but that still doesn't help the OP who lives in Hawaii...

Out of curiosity, I'll check and see what the latest prices are here locally.

However, I am of the opinion that tanks are the cheapest part of diving. If you calculate how much they cost per dive over the life of the tank, it just isn't worth buying used tanks and worrying if they'll pass. Even at $200 each, if you dive a lot, it comes out to pennies per dive.

Again, if new is an option, save yourself time, worry and just pony up...

Part of the deal that I am trying to work out with the dude is that they are vipped, hydro'ed and valves rebuilt before purchase.

With the cheaper price, I could pick up like twice as many which would be nice as it's become something of ***** here to find places for fills. No place convenient to have fills done and a lot of places don't want to fill while you wait.

New tanks here run $200 apiece. Shipping them from the mainland, even if I got a cheaper price, would bring it up to $200 or more. We get killed on shipping here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom