Question: Ziplock bag style camera housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I wouldn't trust them. I read recently someone just posted about having one flood. One of the inherent issues is the compression of the bag interfering with the operation of the camera, of course the deeper you go. I don't see any way around this.

I have no experience with these housings. My thinking is that they are primarily intended for snorklers or boaters/canoeists/kayakers/rafters who might end up in the water. Any sort of depth and I think the lens won't be able to extend and the buttons will all be compressed.

Here's a link to B&H Photo's page with similar housings:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=5237

There are a couple of alternatives:

Some disposable film cameras are made for underwater use. Cheap, film based, point and shoot

There are some compact film cameras also made for this purpose. Most of them are good only to 10-12 Ft
(4 m) . Minlota, Canon and Nikon all made a model or two. Finding a used one might be an option.

Depending upon where you are going, there might be some rental equipment available. It might even come with some instruction and review, which could be of immense value if you are totally new to U/W photography.

I can speak from experience with these types of devices. I have had three. One for each of my P&S camera's and one for my video cam. I've never had one leak and I"ve used them for over two years.
However I have never taken them deeper than 25ft. The one you link to I bought for my wife last year. I was about to get rid of an old point and shoot a few months back, so I was willing to take a bigger chance to test the depths they claim. I took it down to 25ft and it worked fine.
So if your shallow depth is under 20 it should be fine as long as you be sure to lock it properly.
If you're going deeper I'd get a hard case.

C

The Ewa-Marine "bags" are guaranteed to 33'. Third page on the B&H link above. But they're quite a bit more $$. Depending on the model # of your camera, a Canon hard case is under $200 usually.

They may not leak, but in my case when below 20 feet, the pressure was so much that it did not allow the camera to focus correctly, interfered with use of the levers & buttons and the plastic pressing on the lens distorted the picture.
Above 20 feet it was OK.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've thought about going with a nice hard case, but I'm not sure how long I intend to keep this as a camera. I'd probably like to upgrade if for more megs soon, so maybe I should just go with the leaky bag and settle it. Then I have an excuse to tell my wife why I bought a new camera? :D Kidding... Thansk again for the input.

justleesa and I were on a boat once and this guy had a 6000 K camera in one.

we were like "Oh-KAAAAY...."

Knockneed Man:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've thought about going with a nice hard case, but I'm not sure how long I intend to keep this as a camera. I'd probably like to upgrade if for more megs soon, so maybe I should just go with the leaky bag and settle it. Then I have an excuse to tell my wife why I bought a new camera? :D Kidding... Thansk again for the input.
Insure it first then go for it!

I have an EWA Marine housing that lasted one trip to Costa Rica and two Abalone dives. About three months. Lucky It came apart at the seem and I noticed very early and the camera is fine. I paid good money but I never received any support back from EWA. I like the idea but the housing just didn’t last long at all. Does anyone out there now of a good rugged brand that I could look at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom