• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Question, vintage LP72 tank

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by rnln, Feb 3, 2020.

1. rnln

rnln Nassau Grouper

Thanks everyone.

Jale,
    If I take a look inside, do I have to give it some compress air right away, or it's still good to leave it empty for a little while, let say a week or two?

Couv,
    So the different is only around 2 or 3 mins more on the Al80, if I can get the LP72 a +.
    The air in there is 20 year old. I honestly don't want to breath it before hydro/VIP.

Looks like the decision is to keep it. Thanks everyone again.

2. 2airishuman

2airishuman Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Hi rnln

I like LP72s and presently have about 10 of them, all galvanized, all either Norris or PST.

Yours is a Norris but it is painted, not galvanized.

Typically I will pay $30 for a galvanized Norris or PST LP72 that is out of hydro and with an older valve. It costs me $55 to revalve them and around $20 for hydro which brings my acquisition cost to $105 if everything goes smoothly. I allow for a 10% hydro failure rate on as-found cylinders and add some cost of driving around to sellers and hydro shops, so I figure the cost of a ready-to-go LP72 that is in hydro with a new valve, full of air in my garage, is around $125-$150.

Typically I don't buy painted cylinders because the extra cost of sandblasting them and painting them is more than the as-found cost of a galvanized cylinder.

I have sold all the painted LP72s that I ended up buying as part of a mixed lot with galvanized LP72s.

I have a slight preference for LP72s over AL80s mainly because they result in a slightly lighter overall kit (less lead) but in reality they are largely interchangeable; there is a noticeable practical difference between diving an AL80 and an HP100 but not between an AL80 and an LP72 on a real-world dive (aside from interpreting the SPG a little differently)

A fact to consider is that in Florida there are quite a few shops that won't fill LP72s for various reasons.

Prices do vary regionally. In Florida (among other places) there are so many divers and so many dive shops that the shops by AL80s by the pallet and sell them at much lower prices than dive shops in, for example, Minnesota. In areas where AL80s are cheap there is no financial benefit in performing CPR on an as-found LP72.

rnln likes this.
  3. jale

jale Barracuda

Once empty, you can leave it empty. Just rescrew the valve (hand tight is enough).

4. rnln

rnln Nassau Grouper

Thanks everyone, I pulled the stamp and start tuning my regulators tonight. It works awesome. Now, I owe a tank, a vintage tank :). Thanks again.

Dizzi Lizzi, couv and Dark Wolf like this.
  5. Lostdiver71

Lostdiver71 PADI Pro

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Remember, unless it is + rated on the Hydro, a 72 only hold 65 cubic feet of air! If it is + rated it will then hold 71.2 cubic feet. I have four of them and two are going to become a small set of doubles once I can find the right set of bands to work with my manifold.

6. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

Hard to get the + on hydro these days.

7. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Pointless to search hydro facilities, you can do even better than that with a standard hydro. You just need a shop that understands those tanks.

I can get 3K from several shops as long as they know the background of these 72's and have a VIP that they can trust. Not so sure about ungalvanized, just don't know. But a 2800 fill seems entirely reasonable for that tank. ***Internet Advice***

72cuft at 10% overfill: So they are really 72-7.2cuft = 64.8cuft at rated pressure (2250).

64.8*(2800/2250) = 80.6cuft

Dark Wolf likes this.
  8. Jcp2

Jcp2 Literally virtually diving ScubaBoard Supporter

I understand your point. It’s like a vintage cave fill. But around here, only people with their own compressors have that luxury, as we have few shops and no caves.

9. couv

couv Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Perhaps where you live, but not a problem here. In fact the manager of the hydro facility I use, used to post here on SB. It's best to touch base with a hydro facility before bringing in a steel that you want a + applied.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  10. rnln

rnln Nassau Grouper

I contacted multiple places, include those fire protection, some don't do + rating. Some will do but need official REE but no one has it REE for Noris :(