Question regarding aluminum tanks manfg in 1981

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xefe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend of mine knew I was getting into diving and contacted a friend of his who no longer dives. This gentleman stated he was getting too old and his gear was just taking up room in his closet.

He is willing to give me two tanks that only has 4-5 dives on them. The tanks look like they are in mint condition. He offered to get them hydrod, visually inspected and filled with air for me.

The only catch is these tanks are stamped in 1981 and have been out of hydro for 10 years. He has kept them stored with only like 100psi of air in each.

Is it safe to keep these tanks if they pass hydro/visual ?

Are they Luxfers or Catalinas? That will have a large bearing on their value.

If they are aluminum, the question you need to ask is not "is it safe to keep them" but "will you be able to get them filled?" More and more, LDSs are deciding to refuse to fill them regardless of hydro and VIS status.

Quote - "If a shop will give them a pass for hydro and vis, they ought to fill them."

You would think that should be the case. But there are at least a couple reputable shops on this board who have said they will not fill them. They will provide hydro & vis service if the customer insists, but will not fill them. It surprised me.

If your dive shop does not do the job 100% take it to another and if that dive shop does the same take it to the 3rd. dive shop. By then you will have a clear picture but never let them do the inspection without a fill.

Problem is 6351-T6 Alloy.

Potentially Affected Cylinders:

Any cylinder manufactured before 1990 marked 'DOT-3AL'
Exemption Numbers: Seamless Aluminum: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422

Link to DOT Advisory: http://www.sounddivecenter.com/3al_advisory.pdf

explotank_small.jpg
image017.jpg

Problem is 6351-T6 Alloy.

Potentially Affected Cylinders:

Any cylinder manufactured before 1990 marked 'DOT-3AL'
Exemption Numbers: Seamless Aluminum: 6498, 7042, 8107, 8364, 8422

Link to DOT Advisory: http://www.sounddivecenter.com/3al_advisory.pdf
Thank you very much for the sensationalist pictures. There were a few nasty death and dismemberment incidents involving 6351-T6 alloy tanks before the Sustained Load Cracking issue was fully understood.

What the pictures and the advisory above do not say is that there are still millions of 6351-T6 Aluminum alloy scuba, SCBA, and medical O2 (not even counting CO2 tanks) tanks in service and that there have been exactly ZERO failures of 6351-T6 alloy tanks related to SLC issues since eddy current/visual plus inspection protocals were implemented prior to the above advisory circular that required them.

Now, over 6 years later the SLC issue is fully understood and it is also known that cracks propogate slow enough that eddy current/visual plus inspections completed as part of the tank's requalification (the hydro test is another part of this process) every 5 years is sufficient to identify any cracks before they can progress to the point of catastrophic failure.

On top of this, the dive industry standard requiring eddy current/visual plus inspections with every annaul VIP pretty much insures that 5 out of the 6 inspections occuring during that 5 year period can be screwed up by the tester and a tank with an SLC would still be pulled from service before it would fail.

The problem is there is much hysteria over the issue - promoted by things like posting pictures and 6 year old circulars without addressing the other side of the coin and in effect ignoring all the reasearch, operational experience and legislation that has occurred since then. The end result of that type of disinformation is that shops and insurance companies operate in a state of fear where there is nothing to fear and divers with properly inspected and legally certified tanks cannot get them filled in some shops.

What's worse is that the prohibition has taken the form of a blanket refusal to fill any scuba tank made prior to 1990, even though the most common scuba tanks encountered (Luxfer AL 80's) were made from 6061-T6 alloy after December 1987 and the next most commonly encountered tanks (Catalina tanks of any capacity) have always been made from 6061-T6 aluminum alloy and are not subject to SLC issues.

Quote - "If a shop will give them a pass for hydro and vis, they ought to fill them."

You would think that should be the case. But there are at least a couple reputable shops on this board who have said they will not fill them. They will provide hydro & vis service if the customer insists, but will not fill them. It surprised me.

My opinion on this is if they won't fill a tank that has passed hydro and VIP then they are not a reputable shop. I challenge any of these "reputable" shops to give me one good reason why they won't touch these tanks.

And saying "one time a tank blew up" is like saying that none of us should be diving because one time a guy died while diving.

Well there are certain tanks my shop will not fill for the simple reason that their DOT exemption is expired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom