Question regarding aluminum tanks manfg in 1981

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those tanks were manufactured using the 6351-T6 Alloy. This is the alloy that is susceptible to sustained load cracking. It is possible to have the tanks hydro/vip/and eddy current tested and have a shop fill them. Your problem is finding a shop to fill them. For the hassles that you will have I would not bother with those tanks.

A friend of mine knew I was getting into diving and contacted a friend of his who no longer dives. This gentleman stated he was getting too old and his gear was just taking up room in his closet.

He is willing to give me two tanks that only has 4-5 dives on them. The tanks look like they are in mint condition. He offered to get them hydrod, visually inspected and filled with air for me.

The only catch is these tanks are stamped in 1981 and have been out of hydro for 10 years. He has kept them stored with only like 100psi of air in each.

Is it safe to keep these tanks if they pass hydro/visual ?

Also, living in New Orleans, I know of two shops that will NOT fill those tanks.

But, if they're free, you can recycle them for $30 ea and sell the valves for $5-10 and have some tank rental money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom