Question Re: Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone recommend a flexible fin (preferably full foot) that won't impede manoeuvrability? I heard divers saying they weren't able to hover as efficiently with split fins, although they were far more fluid during surface swims and in strong currents, during which I get knackered, or cramped! I'm a very strong swimmer (without the fins) and dive often, only have this problem in currents.

Also in Thailand it's not always easy to source the full range of products, as most shops in Bangkok (and there are few) usually stock only one or two brands at the most. I also have quite small feet, so trying someone else's fins out is not an option...

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

CSquirt

Sea Squirt

You may wanna check out Aeris’ new Velocity fins. http://www.diveaeris.com
Ranked by Rodale’s as “Tester’s Choice” and “Best Buy”, it’s like a combination of your standard paddle fin and the new propellers. The fin has 3 small vents down the centreline of the fin that claims increases the kick efficiency found only in split fins. I read somewhere that the Velocity “gives you the feeling of a paddle fin, but with the performance of a propeller fin.”

I don’t own a pair so can’t give you my personal opinion. I’d really like to try them out, if only I can find a dealer here who carries the product.

I personally own a pair of Scubapro Twin Jets and have found them to be very effective against strong currents.

Thresher
:D

*thanks*

Will look into this...

I've been using Mares Plana Avanti, not the quattro. they have worked fine for me, and usually my dive buddies get tired of finning before I do. I've never tried any of the split fins, but I've heard conflicting stories about using them with kicking patterns other than the standard flutter kick. I have no problems, so I see no need to change. I'm sure there are better ones out there, and there are certainly more expensive ones out there, but I can't justify the added cost. I'm in decent shape, but not a strong swimmer at all.

Thank you so much for your insight. I just purchased a pair of the Mares Avanti's (not Quattros) for myself off of EBAY. I got them for $40 so I'm happy with my choice. I also bought my husband a pair of Tusa Imprex Fins from Ebay for $17! Since we don't dive but once or twice a year; I couldn't see shelling out $189 for the Volos or some of the other fins. Together; fins would have cost me somewhere between $200 and $400. To me, it's smarter to SAVE THE MONEY FOR DIVING AND TRIPS TO TROPICAL WATERS!!

CAD's and CADDETTES,

Jump in here, you've got a new recruit!!

Back
Top Bottom