Question Re: Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csevel

Registered
Reaction score
My husband is a 5 yr diver and I'm a newbie (certified in June & no dives yet - we live in Ohio) We're visiting Cozumel in Dec. for the 3rd time and just purchased 3mil shorties. We'll probably always rent equipment due to our inability to dive often; but we'd like to purchase our own fins. What is the consensus on quality since we dive so infrequently? My husband insists we go low-end since we don't dive a lot. When I got certified, I had the opportunity to try out the Mares Volo and noticed a huge difference in maneuverability. Now I'm not trying to be your typical female and spend a lot of cash...I just want to get something that I will be happy with when I'm 100' under and will have some longevity. Anyone out there with suggestions? Thanks.

A couple of suggestons:

Do some reading down in the "Fins" section of this board. Might give you some ideas of the features you are interested in.

Another useful reference tool is scubadiving.com -- while this source is somewhat non-committal about what fins are the "best", it gives you an idea of the brands/models that are currently out there, features to look for, what types of fins work for certain types of divers, etc.
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins.shtml

My $0.02 on the Volos...I've never used them. I've heard a few stories about the fins tearing after a moderate amount of use. Some folks swear by them as being lower effort.

I use Mares Plana Avanti Quattros -- relatively stiff blade fins. I like them, but they are not for everyone due to stiffness.

Hope this is helpful

Csevel,

I second large_diver's suggestion. A little research will give you an idea of what's out there in the world of fins. In short, a whole lot!

What kind of diving do you think you and your husband will be doing? Do you want a 'foot fin' or a 'strap fin'? Stiff? Flexible?

It has been my experience that fin selection is a very personal choice, often as much as the mask. Your local dive shop can help you here.

Try a variety of makes and styles they have to offer in the pool. Learn what 'feels good' to you. If the fins are comfortable and move you through the water the way you want to move with the effort you want to make, chances are they are the fins for you.

Also, since you don't think you'll be diving that often, you might consider a fin that has a relatively flexible blade. Your legs won't tire as quickly as they would with some of the stiffer models like the old ScubaPro Jets or US Divers Rockets.

And don't hesitate to buy 'quality' if that's what feels good on your feet. The fins won't spoil in storage! On occcasion, I still use a pair Jets that were bought back in the early 80s!

Good luck.
Warren

The gents have given you good advice! The single most important item is comfort. Fins are like shoes in many ways: if they do not fit, they can make the dive miserable. A fin that is too tight will make your foot cramp. A fin that is too loose will make your finning less efficient.

lots and lots divers like the style of fins that require booties. The reasons are many, but for me it is the comfort of walking around the dive boat w/o bare feet and the comfort of walking on a rocky shore dive site in protected feet.

Finally, often dive shops will have used fins or last year's model on sale. You may be able to pick up a bargain, but comfort is much more important than price. Please believe me on that count.

Joewr...finning his way out of here...

Penny wise, pound foolish. I own Mares Volo's. I owned Apollo Bio Fins (split fins) before the Volo's. I have used Quattros and the cheaper Mares Plana Avanti. I also have a really old pair of Seaquest fins that are stiff plastic and cheap.

I do pool work, including swimming and snorkeling 800 yds. each. I have tried and timed various models. Here's a quick summary.

Mares Volo's - I can overkick them. Speed was always below others. Easy on the legs, so good for the out of shape diver. Good maneuverability. Same as Dacor Tigers. Dacor Panthers are a cheaper version of the pivot fin and can save you some money. I have well over a hundred dives on them, plus OW pool sessions, plus my daily pool workouts. The little pivots have not broken.

Apollo Bio Fins - Loved them, pricey like Volo's. Easy on the legs. Excellent speed. Not so good for surface swims. Harder to maneuver with. Can't back up, something I need for photography.

Mares Quattro's - My favorites. They really aren't that stiff. Best paddle fin out there. My best times were with my wife's Quattro's.

Mares Planta Avanti - Surprised at the performance for the money. Good for the budget minded.

Seaquest something or others - I couldn't do two laps without my foot cramping. They were too stiff to be comfortable. I couldn't even work them without a rocking motion. Couldn't finish my 800 yds.

CHEAP, ILL FITTING, POOR PERFORMING FINS WILL MAKE YOU MISERABLE. They cost you air consumption as well.

Check your sizing. Different brands have different foot pocket sizes. Some are wider than others. Some pockets will rub your instep raw. I would recommend any split fin or Mares/Dacor fins.

good luck

I agree with Large_Diver - look around first!

I have the same fins as L_D (Mares Plana Avanti - I think) and they are very hard - not for the weak of ankles!

Keep your eyes on the Fins Section of the board and I am sure you'll be fine!

Good luck in your hunt !

Try different fins and pick what's best for you. Personally, I've yet to find a fin as good as Scubapro Jet Fins. They've been around almost 40 years for good reason. Give 'em a try, they might work for you. They are not expensive and they last forever.

WWW™

I've got a pair of Quattros and like them, but I've heard great things about the Jet fins and Turtle fins. I want to get some to try.

Everybody's leg strength and needs are different. As said before, your LDS probably has different kinds to try. Go to a pool and check them all out. You will find large differences between models and will narrow down what works for you.

I second Joewr's bootie comment. Not only are they great for walking around before and after a dive, but you don't get any chafing from the fin on your feet/ankles. They cost more initially, but IMHO pay for themselves IMMEDIATELY.

Walter is right on the money.

Jet Fins are the most copied of ALL fins manufactured. Why, cause they do what they are suppose to do.....they work.

I've tried em all, some are easier on the legs, but lack in power. Some are fast, I haven't figured that one out yet. Why do I need to go fast?

Personally I use the large Jet Fins, I have small feet (size 8), when diving wet. I use the extra large with my drysuit on account of the boots.

They ain't pretty and they don't come in fancy colors, but you will be amazed at their performance.

ID

Thanks to all for the great input. I was certain from all the magazines and catalogs I receive; that filtering out fin information would be a monumental task. I'm a little concerned about buying fins anyway due to the fact that you really don't know until you try them out. I'm a strong swimmer with strong legs so I guess that might help in selecting a set. Again, thanks to all who responded. It was very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom