Question on Form - How many logged dives since certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the overall theme of your post but this is worth making the point - scuba diving is easy... until it isn't. The concern isn't how a new diver will handle a 120' swim-thru dive when all goes well. The concern is how they will handle it when it all goes wrong.

Who knows. I was on a dive trip in Lombok. Here is the typical dive briefing

Diving the ‘Manta Pot’ can sometimes be pretty gnarly when there’s swell and currents!!!
😳

The briefing could be..”get swept in, avoid everything solid, hide from the torrent (but not in the cave with all the sharks and Jenkins rays ) and then get jet washed out again between all the boulders in the washing machine!”
It’s what makes this dive site so special and exciting and it’s definitely worth it.
The mantas do the same (although admittedly much better
😀
) , they’re curious and it really is unlike most manta dives you’ll ever do…especially because you’re the only divers there!

We had a guy doing his DM course panic on this dive after 10 minutes and he was taken back to the boat where he was put on O2.
He lost his mask on negative entry which was recovered for him then tried diving with no regulator in his mouth.
He mentally lost it. It is not only new divers that can handle it when things go wrong. He thought he was an experienced diver. He found out not really so.

The concern is how they will handle it when it all goes wrong.

No one knows how they will handle it until it happens, and no one gets a cert, or extra dive counts, for survival, that's why I talk to people before I dive with them.

He thought he was an experienced diver. He found out not really so.

We are all experienced divers, until we find out we are not, and are taught a new lesson.

No one knows how they will handle it until it happens, and no one gets a cert, or extra dive counts, for survival, that's why I talk to people before I dive with them. We are all experienced divers, until we find out we are not, and are taught a new lesson.

This is the chap who runs the Wild Scuba Diving in those washing machine currents in Lombok. He survived a shark attack. I've never had any experiences in diving that led to any injury other than a coral cut etc. Very minor things.

Those wild dives were challenging physically for me and my instructor dive buddy. You needed to know when to rest, hold onto a large boulder as a torrent surged above you, wait it out then continue the dive lol. Up currents could drag you into the 3m swells above, one down current took myself and buddy from 25m depth to 36m depth in no time at all. Jay the op owner was nearby us and thought we had seen something and descended.

Going to Lombok next year for 7 days of diving there instead of 4. It's a rush for the right minded diver. It's pure terror for others.
I'd think being attacked by a shark is pure terror but Jay said he really didn't have time to think about it.

This is part of the usual waiver from used in Australia:

PART 2: TO BE COMPLETED BY CERTIFIED DIVERS ONLY DIVING EXPERIENCE (circle Yes or No where applicable)

Certification Agency (i.e. PADI, NAUI etc.): ________________
Have you dived in the ocean before? Yes No
Level of Certification: _________________________________
Have you dived in a current before? Yes No
Date of Certification: _________________________________
Have you dived when surface conditions were other than calm? Yes No
Number of dives to date: ______________________________
Have you done a night dive before? Yes No
Date of your last dive: _________________________________
Do you intend on flying within 24hrs from the last dive of this trip? Yes No
Deepest dive you have done: ___________________________

NOTE - If you are affected by any of the points listed in below we will require a medical clearance from a doctor before you can dive

1. Since completing your last dive medical have you suffered any illness, injury or surgery that may effect your ability to dive safely? Yes No
2. Are you currently suffering any illness or injury? Yes No
3. Are you currently taking any prescription medication other than the contraceptive pill? Yes No
4. Is there any other condition, fact or circumstance that may affect your fitness or ability to dive safely? Yes No

Any dive op can set their own policy on dives.
Something I see often (in another context) is the idea of "their property their rules" which is perhaps fine from a moral-obligation or legal perspective. However, I still think it's perfectly fine to complete the sentence, "but I can still call them out for X, Y, Z."

If their rules are bonkers, they deserve to be called out for it.

Diving the ‘Manta Pot’ can sometimes be pretty gnarly when there’s swell and currents!!!
Agreed that "diving experience" can mean many different things.

Currents is an area I have almost ZERO experience, and I'm prone to cramping if I'm not careful. I'd like to get that experience at some point, but need to take a few steps to get there.

However, put me in an absolute-zero-vis open water dive where you can't see your computer 3 inches away and I've done that dozens of times. One of my favorite dives is an area with zero-vis, but tons of sunglasses and other loot, that the only way you'll find anything is by feel and effectively "dredging" the bottom. I'm fairly sure there are plenty of divers with more than 2x my experience who wouldn't do the dive I just described.

3. Are you currently taking any prescription medication other than the contraceptive pill? Yes No
Who on the staff of a typical dive op is qualified to make a judgement on which medication(s) would be an impediment to diving safely?

No one knows how they will handle it until it happens, and no one gets a cert, or extra dive counts, for survival, that's why I talk to people before I dive with them.

We are all experienced divers, until we find out we are not, and are taught a new lesson.

Right, but training and experience can greatly increase your odds of reacting properly to an issue.

Experience is not just number of dives but number of dives in those conditions. A guy with a hundred tropical reef dives doing a deep and cold quarry dive will be out of their element.

Back
Top Bottom