Question on attaching dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Picked up surface float/flag. Simple one with a weighted fiberglass 4' pole, round styrofoam ball and a flag at the top.

The flag just slides off of the end of the pole with absolutely no effort. Tried zip stripping to the pole, and still slides right off.

Before I decide to get serious with this, is this by design? Seems like a really easy way to lose your flag.

I zip-tied mine really tight, and ran some fishing string to the attachment point so that if the flag did fall off, I wouldn't lose it. It also helps keep the flag from sliding up. However, the zip-ties themselves work fairly well if tight enough. Grab some pliers and crank em down.

46950386267701068738.jpg
86955934893116134395.jpg

I stopped using these style flags awhile back, as I dont feel they are visible enough in rough conditions, but when I did I painted the mast with plasti-dip where the tie off's occur. Then once it has dried, use either zip-ties or thin rope to tightly affix the flag to the plasti-dipped area of the mast. For an extra added finishing touch, dip the tips of the flag tie ropes into the plasti-dip as well. I have since moved to the much larger much more visible style of dive flag. That flags mast has holes in it that the flag ties to.

To be honest, I've spotted styrofoam cups in rough waters. Even the largest of dive flags can't fix a stupid boater.

When I used this type a while back I would use shoe gue and on the end I would put an amount to make a non slip point and another on the shaft just above the spot where the lower grommet was and when it was dry the next day slide on the flag and zip tie the flag on to the fiberglass pole. The spots of shoe glue made a non slip point and it never came off again. The pole and flag is slick so the gummy glue stops the slippage.

A couple of turns of electrical tape will stop the zip ties from sliding. Get them tight and give the tie a full turn around the pole for more bite.

Try tying a thin 1/8" cord/line from the bottom grommet of the flag to the lead weight/metal O-ring at the bottom of the pole. It's a positive attachment. Unless you tie poor knots, it will never come off. And you will have a quick visual if it becomes frayed or is coming undone. My own flag has a line built into it and I just tie it off at the bottom of the pole.

The flag should not be able to slide upwards off the mast. The most basic styrofoam ball type is used commonly down
here in florida. Easier to tow while diving and much easier for storage in the trunk or back seat than some of the other types.
Anyway, the standard set up on these is a line that runs from below the ball around the ball to the mast just above the ball
then up to the lower corner of the flag closest to the mast. If it has been set up with to much slack the flag will slide upwards.
The problem we sometimes encounter is the flag wearing out at the top of the mast where it is stitched and allowing the flag
to fall downward toward the ball. We then sometimes secure a small zip tie around the part that wore out. The smaller diameter
(1/8" ? ) yellow poly line seems to work well for the flag rigging.

Slide the flag up a few inches, apply a silicone RTV type sealant around the pole and slide the flag back down over it. Let it cure overnight and your problem should be fixed. If it comes loose in the future just re-glue it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom