Question for the Computer Experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jswantek

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an older computer with a 2002 version of Microsoft Office on my computer, and I'm having a problem with it that just started recently. Whenever I try to open a Word or Excel document, I get an error message that says 'file not available.' I've never had this problem before, and I can open my files on other computers. Any ideas???

Have you had any recent updates shortly before this problem began if so you may need to remove that update.

Yes, do what Zlator says and check for recent updates... and possibly remove them. If you get automatic updates from M$ I know they just pushed out another genuine advantage app for office with their last batch of useless updates; it might be causing an issue. (I look at each KB article for every patch to find that most of them are indeed useless, so yes, my statement is qualified.)

Other than patches, have you updated any Anti-virus/spyware/firewall software and/or ran a scan to detect malicious code? Any new software installed? and I do mean ANY new software whatsoever. Have you downloaded anything (such as ActiveX controls or plug-ins) from websites?

Does Word or Excel open by itself? (without opening a document) This will narrow down your problem to either the program(s) or the documents. If the former, re-install Office. If the latter, it might be infected and your virus scanner is preventing it from being opened.

Ken

What versions of office do you have on the other computers? The reason being if a document was created / or saved as a new version, some of the older versions don't realize it's a newer word doc. (It's been corrected now where 2003 will know it's 2007 etc...) But you may want to look at the compaitibility pack. (it is a free download from MS) A way to test for this is, create a new doc, click file and save as, make sure it is set to word (and it might list is as word 2002) save it to your desktop. Then close it. see if that document will open useing the File / Open menu commands from word. If it does, you know it's not word that's broke.

Are you able to open word or excel on it's own and then open the file by browsing from file -> open?

Also, 2007 word files are now .docx and excel files are .xlsx now. If the problem is you are trying to open newer office 2007 files, you need to d/l the compatibility pack for office from Microsoft's site.

Just kick the whole M$ ***** and get a FREE Openoffice version.download: OpenOffice.org Downloads
It will work on all the M$ office programs without the $$$

But that's only doing it halfway.... kick M$ to the curb all the way and get Linux! Plenty of flavors to choose from too! (a.k.a. not the "you're going to take what we give you" M$ 'tude.)

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom