Question for PADI Divemasters and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are definitely over thinking this! Not the same thing as telling you not to worry, because it's a good thing to put thought into your training. I'm pretty sure what people are meaning is that you are making things way more complicated than they need to be. Find an instructor you get along with who doesn't look to be a total knob. I personally think that an instructor's CV becomes more important the more you advance in your training. Like for tech diving you probably want to be pickier, I know I am.
My husband got certified on vacation in a big group of people, I wasn't there so maybe his instructor was excellent, but it was on a whim and he didn't put much thought into skill etc and now he's a good and competent diver because of practice and good mentors!
I have a tendency to overthink things too and sometimes it gets in the way of progress and making decisions...so I try really hard to get past it. I think that people don't want you to get into that trap :)

Isn't that really just a personal opinion? I appreciate and respect the way you choose to learn, and I think you should do what "floats your boat". It would be very respectful for others to let me "float my boat" any I way choose and not assume I should do it the way they do it. I do appreciate what you are saying though. Just an FYI, I have never regretted "thinking" about what I need to do, and making a plan. I have regretted not giving something enough thought -- for example taking scuba classes with an instructor who is trying to cheat me out of money and trying to sell me equipment I don't need. Now there is a prime example of not giving it enough thought

:dork2:

Last edited:
Isn't that really just a personal opinion? I appreciate and respect the way you choose to learn, and I think you should do what "floats your boat". It would be very respectful for others to let me "float my boat" any I way choose and not assume I should do it the way they do it.

Yes it is a personal opinion which is why I said I "personally think". Sorry you don't want my opinion and different view on a message board. I thought that was the whole point. I didn't assume anything or present anything as a fact or one fits all solution - just my opinion and I don't believe I was disrespectful, but of course, that is just my opinion.

Yes it is a personal opinion which is why I said I "personally think". Sorry you don't want my opinion and different view on a message board. I thought that was the whole point. I didn't assume anything or present anything as a fact or one fits all solution - just my opinion and I don't believe I was disrespectful, but of course, that is just my opinion.

You were perfectly fine in what you said.

Please re-read the post -- I hadn't finished -- for some reason when I touch the touch pad incorrectly it posts -- I still don't know exactly what I'm touching to make it post??? who knows.

Unfortunately, more than a few of them displayed the attitude that as DIR divers, they were far, far, far superior to the rest of the world's divers, who were all essentially scum who were going to die eventually because of the errors of their ways. This caused tremendous friction in the diving community and more than a little anger. There was actually an individual who was very active on ScubaBoard (until he was banned) who was assigned the task of leading the transmission of the DIR message to the rest of the diving community. One of his essays on the topic can still be found online if you look hard enough. In it he exhorts the faithful to take advantage of their opportunities when forced (Seriously. Forced.) to dive with non-believers to spread the message of the superiority of the DIR gear and methods.

Maybe I haven't been around long enough to have experienced that, but the level of courtesy and respect I have received from every single GUE, UTD, and ISE diver with whom I've met or had correspondence, has been respectful and courteous. I can't say that for the other agencies. Too much squabbling and drama like this. I'm just there for the skills. I'll still dive solo. I'll still dive sidemount. I'm not going to dive 32% nitrox for depths up to 100 feet all the time. I'm not going to start using trimix at depths greater than 100 feet. So I'm not with the program 100%. As I was told by a GUE diver before I took fundies "You don't have to drink the Kool-Aid, focus on the skills." And that's precisely what I do. "who were all essentially scum..." Shaking my head at that statement. Just over the top.

My responses to the OP are based upon my experiences, as I've trained with PADI, SSI, NAUI, TDI and GUE. I plan on adding more agencies to that list. But for the recreational courses, here is a question for you.

What course can I take where in order I would have to meet similar performance requirements as in a GUE/UTD/ISE fundies/essentials/basics course?

That I would really like to know. Because if there is a PADI course, I want to take it and learn how to teach it well. And I'd like to not have to hire GUE instructors for post fundies remedial training. I can back kick for example, but not in good trim. Not like in their videos. Doing the controlled, slow ascents with a DSMB on a spool is the other thing I need to work on.

I'm listening.

It is now relatively rare to find the zealous DIR advocate putting everyone else down for their inferiority, but it clearly still happens, and it still generates anger when it is directed at people who recognize and remember the insults. My own early technical training was absolutely pure DIR, but even then I did all I could to avoid getting into situations in which I insulted the many fine divers and instructors from other agencies.

I am not sure if you are inferring me as a zealous DIR advocate putting everyone down. If my comments generate anger in you, that is your issue, not mine. Here's the thing that I don't think you are getting about what I have conveyed to people (going beyond this thread here). GUE/UTD/ISE isn't for everyone. The OP has expressed (in my interpretation) that she wants to acquire advanced diving skills. Most people I wouldn't say to jump into these (sorry for using the term, but to me DIR mostly means strict performance requirements) agencies. Most should start in a recreational agency. But I believe the OP is an exception. The OP has looked at the content on the GUE tv website and (my interpretation), wants skills at that level (my interpretation).

Do you believe that she will get that through a typical OW/AOW program? I don't. When I teach AOW, I tell the students that I have very strict interpretation of the PPB (the first adventure dive). People don't get it in their first attempt. I tell prospective students that I'm not for everyone. I can justify to PADI my interpretations if there was ever a complaint (there hasn't). But that is why I am upfront. I won't just take anyone, as the people I take have to be willing to work hard. Because to me, advanced means advanced, not basics II. Someone just wants the cert. Plenty of other instructors in the area for them. No need to take me. I've made promises to most of the boat captains in the Puget Sound area that if they get an AOW certified diver from me, that they don't have to worry about them. As AOW certification is not respected around here. But GUE fundies is. That's reality. I don't like it. The only thing I can control is what I do as an instructor.

Here is the high school equivalent of this statement: "People who finish calculus know a lot more about math than the people who finish Algebra II." In its earliest days, GUE taught pretty much nothing but cave diving, which is among the most challenging levels of dive training. In that training, GUE felt most of the students did not have the skills they needed when they started, so they created Fundamentals to prepare students (who were already pretty advanced) for the rigors of cave diving. Advanced Open Water (AOW) was created in the mid 1960s by the Los Angeles County dive instruction program (and then picked up by NAUI) as a way to extend the skills of brand new divers and (mostly) to introduce them to different kinds of diving in the hope they would spark enough interest to keep diving. (The diver dropout rate then was huge.)

Don't care about the past. Just care about the current situation.

Anyone who finishes an introductory level technical diving class with any agency will have more skills than someone who completes an AOW class with that same agency.

GUE fundies, UTD Essentials, ISE Basics are NOT introductory technical diving classes. They are recreational skills courses first to ensure that the divers who go the tech route have the skills necessary, so that they are just taught technical skills, not basic diving skills. But they are not introductory tech courses. That statement is false.

Before I took GUE fundies, I have taken two introductory tech courses with two different tech agencies (which have a corresponding rec program). My skills didn't improve as they were already "good enough" going in. No class has improved my skills greater than GUE fundies. That is why it is the #1 skills class I recommend to people to take at some point. In fact, GUE fundies is fixing a lot of bad habits that I acquired in my years of diving with a number of agencies. Today, I'm a PADI IDC Staff Instructor. My IDC and IE were on the knees. I scored a lot of 5's in my IE. Fortunately, there is a movement for everything to be done off the knees, but they are not there yet.

Every GUE instructor I know is also a PADI instructor and teaches for both programs.

In Seattle, none of the GUE instructors teach for any other agency.

They have a hard time trying to remember in each class whether they are supposed to be godlike or incompetent.

Seriously? John, I'd like to tell you to calm down, but I know that doesn't work. My comments have hit a sore spot with you, but that is your issue not mine. You could easily have started a conversation with me to discuss. But since you didn't, neither did I. And here we are.

You do you. I'll do me. Have a nice day.

I believe that some of the posters may have a valid point in that it's a possibility that you may not be "seeing the forest for the trees". But only you know what's right for you.

My dive buddy in my OW class seemed to me to be somewhat of a perfectionist. That was okay with me. She had dreamed of scuba diving her entire life. She was sure that she would pursue training from OW through AOW, Rescue, DM, instructor and finally cave certification.We pushed and challenged each other with both the book work and skills in the pool and for our check out dives. Having her as my buddy made me a better student and a better diver. She wanted to know everything about everything scuba. She researched equipment and bought the top of the line everything. She also bought every little gadget imaginable. She was thoroughly prepared for everything possible.

After we were certified, we did several dives together. It was awesome. After I had 20-30 dives under my weightbelt, I decided it was time for AOW. I gave her a call. She was too busy with life to take the class at that time. We did one or two dives after that and since then I haven't heard from her. I called her a couple months ago to see if she wanted to hit the Keys for the weekend. "No", she said, she just wasn't into diving as much as she thought she would be. She still dives a couple time a year, but that is about it. So now she has almost $4k worth of gear and an OW card.

Her story exemplifies why there is so much advice from very experienced divers on this board to "not overthink things". You will see in other threads the recommendation to not buy too much gear at the beginning until you have done a few dives. To try out certain configurations and to settle on what suits you and your diving style, not to settle on which configuration or gear is supposed to be the latest and greatest. Not to go from "zero-to-hero" in your training.

This is only my opinion and experience. There is a lot of good advice to be found here and one would be wise to heed a lot of it. But, again, only you know what is going to work for you, but don't be too quick to dismiss the advice of those with thousands of dives.

(I almost want to recommend that you do a discover scuba dive, but I shan't).

My original (and only steady) buddy was slightly different. For about 2 years we dived fairly regularly. He bought a pony bottle among other stuff. Then got married and moved. We did dive a time or two after that but he said he rarely dives now.

I'm sorry, I feel like this may be entirely my fault. Please let me say that I have appreciated the information that everyone is giving. I am exploring every possibility due to my recent bad experience. Normally I wouldn't worry, just dump the idiot instructor and move forward. I have to say that finding good information about where to turn next wasn't easy until I came here. I have and continue to encourage everyone to give me their opinion and I'm sorry for my frustration -- no one here deserved that.

Really, my "raw nerve" is an accumulation of events and not just one. The diving was my "plan" to get away from the things I have been dealing with for close to a year. Last year my mom passed away -- on hospice -- in the next room. The terrible insurance company did not provide me help, my brother's found every excuse not to help, and taking care of my dad and my dying mother sent me over the edge. If someone had told my brother's would take everything my dad owned and try to have him declared incompetent before my mom was cremated I would have called them a liar, but it happened. Slowly I am getting that mess squared away.

For the scuba, my planned respite, to turn out like crap was a little like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel only to discover it was a train -- sigh. I tend to compartmentalize and deal with things one at a time and *try* not to let the totality overwhelm me. The operative word *try*. I didn't give my scuba enough thought. So "overthinking" and trying to find every bit of information was the "smart" thing to do IMHO. It's the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" mentality.

Thanks to everyone here, and I do mean everyone. I apologize for harshness, it was out of character. I am finding my way and able to make much better decisions because of all the information and it makes all the difference. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Question about UTD -- everyone in the world accepts PADI as a known advanced diver certification, but the UTD courses don't seem to touch on that -- meaning with their certification I can fly to Florida and the company will understand and respect the cert. There are 2 different GUE instructors in LA and both are also certified to teach PADI so I believe the PADI cert wouldn't be a problem -- but I'm not positive. If I complete the advanced open water with either, will I also have to take a separate test to get the PADI cert so the uninformed will know I'm certified to do the dive? I'm hoping this question makes sense -- my communication skills are "off" today.
There should be no problem whatsoever about the recognition of a UTD/GUE/ISE cert, but if you'd also like a PADI cert then the instructor will have to ensure that the PADI standards are included. This may or may not be offered by those instructors. UTD and others have comparable courses to other agency's (PADI etc) and arguably more involved and a higher standard.

For example, all skills are done neutral and there is no touching of the bottom and the Recreational 1 (open water) includes both air and Nitrox.

Another option is that all UTD courses can be done in sidemount if desired.

There are several UTD instructors in LA and some I know personally, highly recommended. Because the programs are very similar I have no problem recommending GUE courses as well. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom