Question for PADI Divemasters and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of the equipment looked intimidating until I saw this -- wide load -- hitting his leg -- his tanks combined are wider than he is. Admittedly, it will be a good while before I'm ready for this :wink:
2%20side%20tanks_zps2c0d8crk.jpg

Do any of you do 2 side mounts, or is this unusual?

Last edited:
I really hope she won't be. I've intentionally on here never said what my training level. But I've done courses with both padi and GUE. I'm not an amazing diver at all. But I am okay. I will still happily rock up and rent gear on holiday. When I'm doing serious dives it matters to me. But on holiday I'm totally not bothered, as long as there are pretty fish or nice wrecks I'll dive any crap they have.

I like having my own gear for a multitude of reasons. I can see renting the tank because traveling on a plane with a tank could be challenging. I'm hoping to do much more traveling on a yacht/ship with other divers. Now that sounds like a vacation :scubadiver: I honestly don't see the challenge with the rest of the gear. An extra suitcase is a piece of cake (2nd bag on the plane is still free). It shouldn't weigh more than the 50 pound bag limit.

I like having my own gear for a multitude of reasons. I can see renting the tank because traveling on a plane with a tank could be challenging. I'm hoping to do much more traveling on a yacht/ship with other divers. Now that sounds like a vacation :scubadiver: I honestly don't see the challenge with the rest of the gear. An extra suitcase is a piece of cake (2nd bag on the plane is still free). It shouldn't weigh more than the 50 pound bag limit.

If you go sidemount one day, you have redundancy wherever you go, and you don't need a tech shop to supply you with doubles or hassle with a pony bottle. Just pay for the extra tank(s) that you use. The fact that you won't have a left handed valve (for the tank on your right side) won't be a significant issue for diving in open water.

Tanks and weights are always rented. Everything else, you can bring.

Purely a FYI, I travel with my own gear. Had my reg and mask (and not much else) in my carry-on under 11 lbs. to make the puddle jumper from Provo to Grand Turk. Whether I have checked a Zena Zeagle or BPW set-up, it has been easy to do. :)

Tanks & weights at location as others have said.

It doesn't appear to be very different from the gear I had in mind, but I do have a problem with:

1. Overboard Discharge: Also known as a P-Valve; used with a condom catheter by male divers to allow for urination during long dives with a dry suit.
That looks problematic without pre-dive extensive surgical intervention -- lol -- not happening hahaha
Nah, there are other ways to run those.

In LA or High Springs a shop can rent you all the gear for a not silly amount per day if you don't want to buy first. It's harder at the typical dive destination.

In LA or High Springs a shop can rent you all the gear for a not silly amount per day if you don't want to buy first. It's harder at the typical dive destination.

I didn't think the tanks would be difficult to rent at dive locations??? I don't mind taking the rest of my gear, in fact I prefer it.

I've only done one tropical dive week (Panama) and the tanks were included each day on the boat. When we snowbird there is a shop in FL and one in Miss. where I give them like $20 extra above the rental fee and they let me treat two of their tanks as my own for 3 months (ei., no returning them within 24 hours). Generally, tank rentals in Can. & US are about $2 more than an Air fill.

It doesn't appear to be very different from the gear I had in mind, but I do have a problem with:

1. Overboard Discharge: Also known as a P-Valve; used with a condom catheter by male divers to allow for urination during long dives with a dry suit.
That looks problematic without pre-dive extensive surgical intervention -- lol -- not happening hahaha

I have educated tbeck on the She-P! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom