Question for PADI Divemasters and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't see the equipment requirements when I looked at GUE -- I need to spend a little more time on their web page. Can you give me the basic idea of the required equipment?

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

It's a good setup. Was designed for caves. But works nicely in open water as well. It's not optimal for anything - but it's part of a system that allows you to do challenging dives as a team really well.

It's not just the equipment though - it's how you use it. It's also very expensive and a bit overkill if you are just wanting to do some relaxed recreational diving.

It's not just the equipment though - it's how you use it. It's also very expensive and a bit overkill if you are just wanting to do some relaxed recreational diving.

I don't see the base of the configuration (backplate, wing, hogarthian harness, single tank adapter) to be any more expensive than many BCD's. Pretty much everything else is what other recreational divers would have.

It's good to know that almost everyone is aware that PADI isn't the only cert. I would be disappointed if I traveled to Fiji and they told me I couldn't dive :) Also, if I have a GUE cert, but want to take a PADI class with the prerequisite of having an advanced OW cert, is PADI going to let me take the class if it's GUE advanced OW cert? I assume they will but I should ask. Side mount is probably a "future" cert not immediate. I would like to find a good instructor and buy my gear from their shop, or by their recommendation. I obviously have a very good idea of what I would like, and what fits, but that doesn't mean I won't keep an open mind.
For sidemount, I see most people in Razors or XDeep. Those seem to be the most recommended/used ones. There are others, but my impression is that those are the best. Please scour Andy Davis's website http://scubatechphilippines.com/sidemount-technical-wreck-subic-bay/ for info on sidemount when you go that route.

Personally, I find the apparent recent contention in this thread that only the 0.00001% (or whatever) of the world's divers who are GUE trained are serious divers to be laughably specious. The smell of Kool-aid is even wafting through the computer screen/

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

It's a good setup. Was designed for caves. But works nicely in open water as well. It's not optimal for anything - but it's part of a system that allows you to do challenging dives as a team really well.

It doesn't appear to be very different from the gear I had in mind, but I do have a problem with:

1. Overboard Discharge: Also known as a P-Valve; used with a condom catheter by male divers to allow for urination during long dives with a dry suit.
That looks problematic without pre-dive extensive surgical intervention -- lol -- not happening hahaha

Personally, I find the apparent recent contention in this thread that only the 0.00001% (or whatever) of the world's divers who are GUE trained are serious divers to be laughably specious. The smell of Kool-aid is even wafting through the computer screen/
If you are posting that based on my statements, you are drastically misinterpreting them.

It would appear they (those seeking this cert) would be more serious about learning -- the extra effort required wouldn't "typically" (there are exceptions) attract those who "want it now" and don't care how the get it now.

It doesn't appear to be very different from the gear I had in mind, but I do have a problem with:

1. Overboard Discharge: Also known as a P-Valve; used with a condom catheter by male divers to allow for urination during long dives with a dry suit.
That looks problematic without pre-dive extensive surgical intervention -- lol -- not happening hahaha

There is the She-p. I have no experience (obviously), but it is supposed to work well.

It doesn't. Fundies doesn't give you any more depth than you already have. But it would be pretty rare for someone to do it straight after OW. I'd respect them if they did - but it would be rare. The reason you don't get any more depth is because it was originally just a workshop with no pass/fail to see if people were ready for a tech course. Which is still is really.

I don't think the issue is if they would let her dive. They would. But how comfortable would she be with jumping into a bcd and have a short alternate with very little expereince after fundamentals? I know you can take your own equipment but for most people that is rare on holidays.

I did this and recommend it to tbeck3579 and any other diver. Before I took Fundies Part 1 (way easier than Fundies, "full on") last year, I did ask the instructor many questions as I had been concerned, among other things, that his teaching me would be a gross underutilization of his skills. He reassured me that it was a good time to consider taking the course.

The equipment "requirements" meant I had to let lay fallow and/or sell certain gear. But, the current BPW set-up fits me like a dream, which allows me to focus working on my skills rather than wondering about my particular gear config. This is especially helpful for those of us who do not know what we don't know yet (despite a plethora of "research").

The GUE experience is awesome, as I imagine would be that of any other agency with the right instructor and/or fit. Interestingly, the GUE instructor I had was phenomenal even though he is as different from me and my own "learning style" as they come. While I don't know much, somewhere along the line, I have learned that I am fortunate to be able to benefit greatly from the teachings of those who may be very different from me. Sounds like a platitude, but true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom