Question for PADI Divemasters and Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh,
I have the weight that proves there is Zen in chocolate....

Yes, there is. I need to get out of this house -- too much cooking with chocolate. My happy place is going to make me fatter. I went to the doc for the regular check up and I'm pushing the BMI envelope -- I hate that little chart.

It is so interesting to see the different kinds of folks and the different ways in which they think. I think people like tbeck, stuart, me and others think about things and do research and assume we understand what we read because we usually do. Often we don't and we learn later that we were indeed arrogant on a particular matter. Others learn more by doing and to some of those people it seems absurd and arrogant to see someone post an opinion online that isn't based on many hours of experience. I often see these two groups of people get irritated with one another and I assume that it often happens quietly without the irritated person posting about it.

I have watched tbeck dive into scuba without yet getting wet and I find it totally amusing and inspiring. I would never tell her she is overthinking it. I wouldn't tell Marie to stop fussing with her gear. I wouldn't tell tbone to stop preaching the back plate and the long hose primary. These are my family and if they were all like me I would invest my time elsewhere. Y'all are all great and as long as we are kind to one another we will enrich each other's experience by our diversity. We all belong; the over-thinkers and the plodding plodders and all the rest.

Tbeck, I will tell you my instructor of OW was nothing like me and didn't think like me at all. He tried to teach as if he was teaching someone like himself. He was a wonderfully nice guy but a bad fit as an instructor for me. I needed more of an aspergers type overthinker. We made do and I like him a lot. I will look for another type of thinker for future training.

tbeck,I was lucky in that I had a very good OW instructor 12 years ago, and one whom I assisted on a course much later on--confirming what I thought back then. Though I was extremely comfortable as a "water" person, I, like a lot of students, had no idea what to expect with scuba--nor did I do any research on it. I just was lucky. Having said that, the courses with most agencies today are quite short, with the weekend ones cramming an awful lot into 2 pool days. I took the week night thing spread over 3 weeks then the ocean weekend. In my first year I had a lot of "Gee, why wasn't I told that in the class?" But the time just isn't there to cover a ton of extra information.
I know what you went through recently, as I had a similar 5 year situation in the 90s with my mom and uncles. I was glad I had just recently met my wife back then--she is now a Life Coach.

It is so interesting to see the different kinds of folks and the different ways in which they think. I think people like tbeck, stuart, me and others think about things and do research and assume we understand what we read because we usually do. Often we don't and we learn later that we were indeed arrogant on a particular matter.

I have no idea what you are talking about! :wink::rofl3::cheers:

Good post. :p

Yes, there is. I need to get out of this house -- too much cooking with chocolate. My happy place is going to make me fatter. I went to the doc for the regular check up and I'm pushing the BMI envelope -- I hate that little chart.
You almost got it right:
You got to get out of the house to get your fix of diving Zen, which in return will, by virtue of the caloric expenditure in the process, will let you enjoy yor chocolate Zen sin free and caloric punishment free....

That's my story ... and I am going to stick with it.

Last edited:
LOL, I probably am, but it is who I am. Blame my parents. We were taught as children: anything worth doing is worth doing right. In my twisted mind I feel once I learn how to keep myself safe I can enjoy what I'm doing. It similar to my experience in Germany; I lived in Berlin for 2 years before the wall came down. Learning to drive on the autobahn at speeds in excess of 160 mph was, without question, a "white knuckle" experience in the beginning. Now, I have a "need for speed". I am very safe when I drive at those speeds -- I know the road I'm driving on, I know my tires are rated for those speeds, etc. I can't help myself, I enjoy "flying" down the open road; window down, good tunes on the car sound system. It is amazing.
160 mph is 258 km/h. Besides that fact that most production cars don't go that fast ou do not drive windows down music blaring at those speeds. If you are talking 160 km/h that is a different story .....

@StefinSB MMM popcorn time - hate to disagree but my RR sport does 160 MPH, granted not unless I'm on the autobahn and that is top speed but there are many production cars that will p**s all over it - so i do disagree my learned friend

@StefinSB MMM popcorn time - hate to disagree but my RR sport does 160 MPH, granted not unless I'm on the autobahn and that is top speed but there are many production cars that will p**s all over it - so i do disagree my learned friend

Not really. In Europe most German made cars are limited to 155mph. But it depends on your definition of many.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I do not have a lot of experience driving the autobahns, maybe 1,000 miles, but what I remember is driving my relatively cheap rental car at about 100 MPH in the right lane and coming up to a slower car. I would carefully check the side mirror and see that there was absolutely nothing in the left lane and then pull out to pass. Once in the passing lane, I would look in the rear view mirror and see a Mercedes or BMW absolutely filling the view because it was already on my tail. I would get back in the right lane as fast as I could, and it would zoom past me and out of sight.

Although that happened on more than a few occasions, those were by no means the majority of the cars. In fact, I had the sense that the vast majority of cars were going no faster than they would on an American expressway. Driving 100 MPH, I was definitely among the faster cars. There were, however, a few going much, much, much faster than I. 160 MPH would not surprise me.

Back
Top Bottom