Question About Wetsuit with Built-In Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lopez116

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am in the market for a 7mm wetsuit for local diving. I hate wearing hoods, but understand that I'll likely need to wear one on all but the warmest summer days.

In that regard, I've never worn a wetsuit with a built in hood, but see how they could be easier to deal with (no tucking in of bibs, one less piece of gear to remember, etc). But if I commit to buying a suit with a built in hood and there are days where I don't need to wear the hood, can I dive with the hood just behind my head (like a hooded sweatshirt)? Or, is it uncomfortable and/intrusive that way?

Consider a dry-suit hood. I've never had a wet suit with an integrated hood but I know that they are favoured by many. But one diver I ran into a couple of years ago found his to be a real pain when he tried pulling it back (in the manner you describe) when the river warmed up.

What's the difference between a dry suit hood and a regular wetsuit hood?

You may want to consider a hooded vest which you can wear outside of your main wetsuit... if you buy one the right size. If you have a thick 7 mm hood it will probably be uncomfortable pushed back. If you have a 3 mm hood, you can probably do that without much discomfort. I think that if you get used to wearing a thick 7mm hood in cold water, when the water warms you will be very comfortable in a loose fitting 2-3 mm hood, You can wear it with the bibb not tucked in if you want..

You may want to consider a hooded vest which you can wear outside of your main wetsuit... if you buy one the right size. If you have a thick 7 mm hood it will probably be uncomfortable pushed back. If you have a 3 mm hood, you can probably do that without much discomfort. I think that if you get used to wearing a thick 7mm hood in cold water, when the water warms you will be very comfortable in a loose fitting 2-3 mm hood, You can wear it with the bibb not tucked in if you want..

The 2-3 mm hooded vest is a good idea. Thanks

A regular hood usually have a skirting that seats the hood on your shoulders, upper back, and upper chest that you have to either tuck in or put your wetsuit on over it. A drysuit hood has no skirting. I just covers your neck and head.

Plus a drysuit hood will work with your drysuit WHEN you get one after you purchased your expensive wetsuit. Of course you could just get a drysuit :D

In my own case, I have found that finding a good-fitting wetsuit with an attached hood that also fits well is a major problem. I am a strong proponent of the hooded vest or at least a separate hood. I like the Waterproof product, but there are lots more to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom