Question about valves with the red/green "Safety Handwheel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

antattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New questions appear.

Many tanks in my garage have valves with the red/green "safety hand wheel".

The Valves work great, super smooth, just a few turns to full on, full off... But I'm worried about that red/green indicator. Does that mechanism create a failure point or would it fail out of the turning mechanism?

I'm not qualified to tear one apart or I would figure this out myself. Just wondering if this feature might be creating a liability.

The indicators don't add much value once I'm in the water- I can't see the indicators once the tank is on my back anyway and I'm trained to reach back and spin the handle. I guess my buddy could look, but in an emergency, we'd probably just run the appropriate part of the valve drill.

Opinion?

I don't particularly like them because they are bulkier than the normal knobs and make carrying my single tanks a bit less comfortable. I did take one apart and from what I recall, the main knob (the black part) was in direct contact turning the valve open. It was also linked to move the green part so it "covered" the red part as the valve was opened.

As you said, the functionality of it is only when you are looking at the valve. On the surface, great. For the DM when you are going in the water, great. Otherwise, you should be checking your reg by breathing off it anyway.

good to know that the black knob is directly connected to the post. I'll not worry about it- until I head to the DIR fundies class. Then we shall see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom