Question About The Hog 38lb Doubles Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derelict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently diving a twinset of 12.2l Fabers with a giant 55lb Hollis wing (got it cheap with the backplate) and I want to downsize.

I'm just wondering if this HOG wing will be sufficient lift? I'll be diving with a trilaminate drysuit.

Another question, as I'm pretty new to twinset, and looking to get into tec diving in the near future, are the D3 & Zenith regs worth grabbing sooner rather than later? I've been reading that they made need some tuning, which I probably don't know how to do (although being an electrician I'm sure I could figure it out!).

The 38 lb wing is designed for smaller steels like LP 72's and al80's. I'd be leery of using it with anything larger even with a drysuit.

I'm a HOG dealer and HOG reg tech instructor. I don't know what you mean by the D3 and Zenith needing some tuning unless you are talking about verifying the IP and cracking when they are set up. That should be done by your dealer anyway. I don't send out any regs without doing this unless specifically asked by the customer to let them set their regs up how they want them.

The IP should be between 125 and 145. I usually shoot for 135-138.
Cracking on a new second that has not been broken in is set at 1.1 or a tad higher to allow for the seat to take a set at which point it will drop to .9-1.0 or so.

That's wide open and my standard practice is to have my regs that are broken in at about .8-.9 and dial the breathing adjustment knob back 1/4-1/2 turn for normal diving.

The difference between 38lb and 40lb wings is negligible though, and I've seen plenty of divers using 40lb halcyon or scubapro systems with twinset steels. I'm only 70kg, so I'm not a huge person by any means. Are you sure it's not enough?

Thanks for the regs info, that's good to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom