How much lift for XDeep Zeos? 38lb vs 28lb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelizra

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm finally getting my first new BCD and regulator setup and I've decided on the XDeep Zeos. My dive shop has the 38lb in stock but I see that it also comes in a 28lb.

I'm 5'5, 125lbs. I get cold very easily so most of my diving is tropical. I think the coldest I've been to date was Hawaii at 76/77 degrees. I wear a 5-4-3 wetsuit and usually combine it with a 1.5mm vest and hoodie, even in 80+ degree water.

Looking at my dive log, I was weighted at 8lbs in Hawaii earlier this year and 8 kilos is Costa Rica a couple months ago. Both were in your standard, rental BCDs. Now that I look at that though, I'm questioning the unit of measurement. I know the numbers are right but it doesn't quite make sense I'd be the same for lbs and kilos. But I did spend a few dives in each case trying to dial in my correct weight.

I live in the desert southwest. Almost all my diving will be travel diving so a good travel setup is important. That being said, I could be convinced to do some California diving at some point in my life, probably with a 7mm wetsuit so I'd like something that will work for that as well.

The other question is aluminum vs steel for the backplate. Aluminum seemed like a no brainer for me because of my travel-easy requirement. However, the dive shop suggested I consider a steel backplate after I told them how much weight I usually wear.

I think the 38lb is overkill for me. Before deciding on the BP/W setup I was looking at back inflate BCDs with between 30-35lbs of lift but those have to cater to a wide variety of people and situations. For me, part of the appeal of a modular setup is dialing the kit in to exactly what works for me without the unnecessary. Everyone with the Zeos at my dive shop has the 38lb and their opinion is that I should go with that because it will work for everything I'm doing now and give me a safe margin if I do decide to do some cold water diving with a warmer exposure suit in the future (i.e. future-proofing).

My gut feeling tells me the 28 will be great but I'm hoping for some other opinions and recommendations.

Thanks all!

I think the 28 is the better choice, I use one with a steel plate for cold water single tank diving with a drysuit and 13lbs of weight, i even flooded the drysuit and it kept me floating on the surface.
I have used the 38 with an aluminium plate as well, and the 38 is bigger and wraps around your tank quite a bit.

Theres a thread somewhere with an excel sheet that calculates how much lift you need, if you want to do that to determine which one to buy.

Buy the wing appropriate for the dives you're doing now, not those you might someday do. For all you know, you'll end up diving colder California waters in a dry suit, especially since you get cold easily. I've schlepped my steel plate all over the place without issue, but it given your small size you might want to go aluminum so as to keep a few pounds ditchable.

I think the 28 is the better choice, I use one with a steel plate for cold water single tank diving with a drysuit and 13lbs of weight, i even flooded the drysuit and it kept me floating on the surface.
I have used the 38 with an aluminium plate as well, and the 38 is bigger and wraps around your tank quite a bit.

Theres a thread somewhere with an excel sheet that calculates how much lift you need, if you want to do that to determine which one to buy.

Here's the thread with the buoyancy calculator spreadsheets:

Optimal Buoyancy Computer

FYI - The thread is pinned as the top post in this forum

Travel to Tropical warm water diving = Al plate with 28 lb wing.

Forget about what you may and may not do in future 🙂

I dive a 38lb for cold water diving and I also have no issues diving a 32lb for cold water fully loaded in my drysuit as well with temps down to around 45. I have also used my 38lb wing in board shorts in warm locations and it worked well but not as nice as my smaller wings.

Since I like gear and 38lb is way too much, when in warm water I dive my 18 or 24lb wings which are more than enough. My kids both dive 18lb wings in warm water with an aluminum plate and 3mm suits and both with around 4lbs. Both are newer divers and at right around 130-140lbs and my daughter is at your height.

I personally prefer even traveling with my steel plate but I need the weight.

I agree with the others. Better to focus on the wing you'll need now, rather than later. With an AL BP and a 28lb wing I think you'd be good to go. To be honest 38 is probably a bit overkill, especially for tropics. Not that it couldn't/wouldn't work, but you'll probably feel better in the 28.

On a side note, I'm currently trying to sell an Xdeep Zeos 28, so if you're interested I have a post up in the classifieds.

You'll be happy either way. They're good wings and I enjoyed mine until I've decided to get rid of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom