question about minimum bends gradient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm reading Wienke's book,"Physics, Physiology and Decompression Theory for the Technical and Commercial Diver"

On page 86 is a section titled Minimum Bends Depth. In this section it is mentioned that, "The smallest bends gradient is14.3 fsw, which can be contrasted with the average value of 26.5 fsw"

In relation to this information my question is, what rate would one have to traverse these gradients to elicit clinical symptoms?

Those gradients are for saturation exposures, and the
probability function (written down) tells the bends incidence
rate for any surfacing gradient. Fits were done years ago to
some 500+ sat divers. The "average" gradient is the
value of Q integrated over the probability function,
and the minimum gradient is the smallest Q noted
in the sample size. "Root mean square" Q is the square root
of Q^2 integrated over the same distribution.

BW

jbd:
I'm reading Wienke's book,"Physics, Physiology and Decompression Theory for the Technical and Commercial Diver"

On page 86 is a section titled Minimum Bends Depth. In this section it is mentioned that, "The smallest bends gradient is14.3 fsw, which can be contrasted with the average value of 26.5 fsw"

In relation to this information my question is, what rate would one have to traverse these gradients to elicit clinical symptoms?

Hello jbd:

Surfacing Limits

The dives in question were saturation exposures and the ascent was to the surface at the standard rate (1 ft/sec). The rate would matter if it were very slow.

My interpretation of this is that a sufficient number of micronuclei of radius larger than 2.4 microns (surface tension = 60 dynes/cm) do not exist. This nuclei concentration will limit the depressurization excursion.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom