Gradient Factors - What is Everyone Using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now I take the time to change the GFs on my computer when NDL diving, with a GF high of 85-90. This gives me NDLs similar to everyone else. On ascent, I pay no attention to safety stop time and just make sure the SurfGF is below 70, however long that takes. I get the same dive as before, but if some no-mind happens to look at my computer, they won't blow a gasket about violating NDLs.

Along those lines, years ago I used to poke fun at Craig who advocated that everyone should use DSAT computers because they give the longest NDL and you won't "go into deco"(*). Thankfully we've gotten past that and can now talk about rational aspects of decompression models.

*) Because he was diving with operators who expressly forbid "going into deco". I never understood if their DM checks the divers' computers during the dive, whether they don't cap the total dive time... and whether they have no competitors with a clue.

Yes agree, if you dive with recreational divers with GF 90/90, always good to check that surfGF is under 70.
For repetitive dives, RGBM become more conservative than GF90/90.
When diving with recreational divers, I bring my Mares along with my Shearwater and keep it 50/70.

Along those lines, years ago I used to poke fun at Craig who advocated that everyone should use DSAT computers because they give the longest NDL and you won't "go into deco"(*). Thankfully we've gotten past that and can now talk about rational aspects of decompression models.

*) Because he was diving with operators who expressly forbid "going into deco". I never understood if their DM checks the divers' computers during the dive, whether they don't cap the total dive time... and whether they have no competitors with a clue.
Then they just need to set their Shearwater on 200/200 !

For operators with guided dives, many/most also allow independent diving with a buddy. You are then only limited by their maximum dive time, or something close to that. I am loathe to end a dive based on the greatest gas consumer.

You can set a Shearwater computer to a GF high of 99

I rarely poked fun at my friend @dmaziuk for diving a Cressi computer, probably the most conservative computer out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom