Qs About Science of Diving Content

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The old English teacher in me struggles to understand that.

Since there is no enforcement of the this, the word required cannot mean anything akin to the phrase "required by law." It is more likely a synonym for needed, as in "A standard bechamel sauce requires the blending of equal parts flour and melted butter." They further diminish the impact of the word required by labeling it as a recommendation. Finally, they diminish it further by saying that if you follow the required recommendation, you can be reasonably assured....

So, I need to ask. You said, "Not to pick a fight over this, but the SSI recommendation of 24 hrs is also a minimum standard." How can a recommendation be a standard?
The wording in their manual is certainly an odd word salad and I can only speculate as to why SSI decided to write it this way.

I used the word "standard," because that is the language the writer of the post I responded to used in their post about "minimum standards." My purpose was to point out that, he too, was meeting only "minimum standards," by following SSI guidelines/language/recommendations and not exceeding them as he claimed.

On a similar note, you stated that you are an "old English teacher." Are you currently an English teacher who is old, or do you mean that you used to be an English teacher? For example, I had an acquaintance who stated they were a "former large animal doctor." Does that mean they used to be a doctor for large animals, or were they currently a doctor for animals that used to be large?:)

On a similar note, you stated that you are an "old English teacher." Are you currently an English teacher who is old, or do you mean that you used to be an English teacher?

Or, perhaps, he has been an English teacher for a very long time?

On a similar note, you stated that you are an "old English teacher." Are you currently an English teacher who is old, or do you mean that you used to be an English teacher?

Or, perhaps, he has been an English teacher for a very long time?
As you know, I was an english teacher for a long time who is now both retired and old.

My purpose was to point out that, he too, was meeting only "minimum standards," by following SSI guidelines/language/recommendations and not exceeding them as he claimed.
All standards everywhere are minimum. That's what the word "standard" means--the minimum level that must be attained. If it is a very high standard, then reaching it can be quite an achievement, but reaching it still means "doing the minimum necessary." You can exceed a standard.

As you know, I was an english teacher for a long time who is now both retired and old.
John, I was poking fun at an English teacher with what could be seen as a misplaced modifier.
All standards everywhere are minimum. That's what the word "standard" means--the minimum level that must be attained. If it is a very high standard, then reaching it can be quite an achievement, but reaching it still means "doing the minimum necessary." You can exceed a standard.
Rick stated that DAN's 18 hour recommendation is the "minimum standard" and he exceeds standards by waiting 24 hours. I was merely pointing out that waiting 24 hours was the minimum recommended by SSI and therefore he does not exceed standards.

However, this would be an interesting point in a discussion about grades in a K-12 school. For example, on a 4 point scale, a 3 can be defined as "meeting standards" as in the Academic Standards set by the state. A 4 can then be defined as "exceeding standards" or "above standard." So, according to DAN, might waiting 18 hours be a 3, and waiting 24 be a 4?

John, I was poking fun at an English teacher with what could be seen as a misplaced modifier.

Rick stated that DAN's 18 hour recommendation is the "minimum standard" and he exceeds standards by waiting 24 hours. I was merely pointing out that waiting 24 hours was the minimum recommended by SSI and therefore he does not exceed standards.

However, this would be an interesting point in a discussion about grades in a K-12 school. For example, on a 4 point scale, a 3 can be defined as "meeting standards" as in the Academic Standards set by the state. A 4 can then be defined as "exceeding standards" or "above standard." So, according to DAN, might waiting 18 hours be a 3, and waiting 24 be a 4?
I knew the other post was in good fun and responded in mind. My problem was in using an ambiguous term to describe my status. I should have avoided that by using a more specific adjective.

As for the rest, as I am sure you know, one could indeed make that argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom