Question about doubles regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question is what would be wrong with diving two different regs now. Spare parts and repairs are surface issues and I've never had to break down a first stage in the field. All other parts (hoses, port plugs & o rings etc... are interchangable (for the most part). You would have to check your regs for that. ID of different regs UW has more to do with the second stages than first stages (no one looks at their first stage to differentiate gasses). Argon inflation is down the road and you may not even choose that route (unnecessary for most of the dives one will ever do). I might also suggest not buying the most comprehensive tech set at the start until you really know you want that path.

The progression could be:
diving with a single
diving with a single and slung pony (to learn how a slung stage feels)
diving rec with doubles (to learn how that feels without the complication overheads or deco obligations)
diving with doubles and a stage (again without the commitment issues)
diving doubles and stages on technical dives

So the question is: where along that pathway does the need for two matching regulators come in and what can be done until then?

No problem at all as far as I'm concerned. I've got a plethora of regulators. Most are Hollis but I have Atomic, Scuba Pro, and DR regs.

Primarily I keep the Hollis regs on back gas and deco/stage bottles but every once in awhile I take a Hollis out of service for rebuild and I throw whatever is handy in it's place. It's really of no consequence.

As others have stated, don't sweat a few hundred dollars in pursuit of tech diving. I've had fills that cost that much. Go ahead and dive what you've got and pick up kit along the way as you need it.

I'll also second the opinion that you should really be out there diving and move on when your current training has plateaued.

Thanks guys.

I was thinking of getting in the pool to some drills, then finishing my mapping project.

Once I finish my mapping project, I'll be done with my DMC. Edge/Hog has a nice purchasing program for dive pros. That's the reason I'm holding off on buying matching regs right now.

I'll post if I get frisky and test out the doubles with the regs I have.

OK, time to stop typing and get wet. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom