Question about doubles regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

antattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any requirement to have matching regulators on a doubles rig? I already own an Apeks 1 st and second. My wife stopped diving a few years ago and is willing to donate her Poseidon Cyclon and first stage.

Yes, I'm headed for tech training, yes I'll confer with my instructor.

Now, does anyone else out there dive MIS matched regs on doubles? Your thoughts.

It's possible but it just complicates things IMO; different configuration, different parts kits, tools etc. You can buy a pair of Apeks regs used for $300 or less, if that's going to break the bank then tech diving probably isn't for you anyway. You're going to need deco regs too so why not use the Cyklon there if you want to save some $$

They do NOT have to be the same, but I do agree wth Tortuga, it may complicate things. Since you are planning to do fundie, it will probably be at least a short while before you will be able to do Tech 1 (if you go GUE route). You should be OK with fundie. I will suggest keep an eye on use market, get another matching apeks first stage. You will need more regs for Tech 1 anyway. Besides the deco reg, you will need a first stage for drysuit inflation(argon bottle) too. You can always find uses for the Cyklon.

Or dive with what you have now, buy two HOG 1st stages on black Friday for your backgas, apeks for deco, cyklon for argon

Can you? Yes

Will it be ideal? No

What I'd suggest is getting another Apeks for the back-mount and relegating the Poseidon to a stage/deco regulator/s (you'll need those too). That way, you'll have matching/similar regs for your back-gas and a very differently shaped regulator for your deco gas - ultimate benefit being that helps differentiate between bottom and deco regs - less chance for a fatal muddle during gas changes.

Other factors such as commonality of spares/repairs also lends weight to the argument for matched regs.

The reality check is that technical diving costs a lot of money. It's a low tolerance activity (i.e. not much has to go wrong to hurt you), so the general 'vibe' in the tech community is spend the money necessary to do it properly.

Also, unrelated, looking at your dive count, and involvement in DM training at an early stage... don't rush things. Become a great diver first, then make the transition to tech. You'll be shocked at how big a leap it is (if taught well)... and how refined, ingrained and precise your diving will need to be.

Diving mismatched regs is no biggie IMO. I did it for years. What is a biggie is performance of said reg. The regs you have now should be easy breathing at the depth you plan to train. Beyond that nobody cares.
Eric

Back
Top Bottom