question about diving jocasse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, Leah!

I was planning on diving on the 15th at Jocassee, but with the weather turning so cold this week-end, I may wait another week or so.

Lance and Jane are presently on a 2-week dive trip to Australia. She got certified late last summer in preparation for the trip. He is going to have shoulder surgery as soon as they return, so it will probably be June or July before he can dive again.

Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure diving with you last year, and I look forward to diving with you again this summer.

Does anyone know the lake level at Jocassee? It was pretty low the last time I was there in the fall (made for a long haul with gear to get to the water).

I dove Jocassee on Monday and Tuesday. The surface was about 64F. The temperature dropped to 60F at 20ft and to 53F soon after. It was 50F below 100ft. We were diving dry.

Even in the summer when the surface is in the low 80s it drops to 70F by 45ft and stays 53F below 80 or 90ft. I wouldn't bring a 3mm to Jocassee unless it was August and I was planning to stay above 30ft. YMMV.

@ Rainmaker: The lake is back up to normal "full" levels.

bikinibottom:
My buddy and I will be in tow with Columbia Scuba if we decide to go. I'm not really in the mood to fork over the $$ to buy a 7mm wetsuit, so I think I may rent one for this dive (although I'm really not hip on the renting of a wetsuit). :diver: I'm saving up all of my cash for Bike Week & my wreck dive in Myrtle Beach....sigh!

When are you going?

Do you live in Columbia?

Jocasseegirl:
Do you live in Columbia?

I most certainly do. I see you do as well?! Oh goodie!!!! A new friend!! :daisysmil

bikinibottom:
I most certainly do. I see you do as well?! Oh goodie!!!! A new friend!! :daisysmil

I live in NE Columbia off Clemson Road. If you like, I'll let you know next time I'm headed up to Jocassee. Maybe we can ride together. Leah and I sometimes try to make it a weekend - 2 days of diving makes the trip more worthwhile.

Also, diving off the ramp at Jocassee is something we really love to do. We cook at the ramp and take our time. It's really nice.

ABSOLUTELY!!! That would be fantastic!

I'm on the other side of the "world" from you in Lexington (I love it when the natives here comment on the fact that it's too far to drive that 30 minutes from Lex to NE....c'mon, it's not THAT far!!) LOL.

But in all seriousness, I would love to tag along with you! Just let me know.

I have had a chance to spend two days recently on Jocassee in the past two weeks. The most recent being Monday. The temperature was 52-54 degrees. I was wearing a farmer john which I borrowed (even though I hate wearing farmer john's because I can never get my weighting right) which equaled out to about 12 mm total... and I was actually very comfortable. I had a good on and some gloves and I was good to go. The great thing about diving there when the water is cold is that the vis is great and there is no one there :)

I would second the opinions not to go with anything less than a 7 mm for another month or so. I plan on breaking out my 3 mm in June or July, so call me crazy, but I would rather freeze below than die of heat stroke on the surface. :-D

Caleb

P.S.- The Bones Family is still in good shape. Also, the Junk is looking good and the pink flamingo flock is still hanging out over in that area too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom