question about diving jocasse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikinibottom:
Oooohhhh!!! This is just the thread I've been needing!!

My LDS has a trip to Jocassee planned for 4/27-4/29, and I'd love to go along but I'm clueless as to what mm wetsuit to wear too. I just got back from my OW cert. dives in Weeki Wachee and Blue Grotto (72 degrees), and I was wearing a 3mm wetsuit. I actually got kinda chilly, but I'm thinking that it was because we were still for so long on the bottom while we were doing our check out procedures?

So a 7mm is a MINIMUM?? How deep is the thermocline?

I'm wanting to get a nice easy dive in with my instructors/ DMs close at hand in case I need them before I go on a shallow wreck dive in Myrtle Beach next month with another LDS. Gotta build my confidence a bit more before I giant stride into the open ocean, lol. I'm a big chicken at heart...... :chicken:

what shop are you going with? me and buddy most likey will be going with "the scuba shop" from spatanburg that weekend. i have a 3mm and ive been wam and toasty in it so far, however that was in keowee. i think i might buy a 3mm shorty to go unde it and ill prob be fine. i not cold natured though.

My buddy and I will be in tow with Columbia Scuba if we decide to go. I'm not really in the mood to fork over the $$ to buy a 7mm wetsuit, so I think I may rent one for this dive (although I'm really not hip on the renting of a wetsuit). :diver: I'm saving up all of my cash for Bike Week & my wreck dive in Myrtle Beach....sigh!

When are you going?

We will be having a ScubaBoard/SingleDivers/Jocassee Skeleton Crew Dive of the Month on Saturday the 28th at the divers ramp. We will start diving somewhere around 10 or 11am. Dive, cook out and chat and then dive some more. Anyone is welcome to join in with us.

Just my humble opinion -- I wouldn't dream of diving Jocassee this time of year in anything less than a full 7mm. That lake is fed by 4 ice-cold mountain rivers. Better to wear a 7mm than a 3 or 5 and wish you had on a 7!

Take care, you guys . . and above all, be safe!!

:wink:

7 mm, Hood, Gloves for me this time of year. 3 mm in summer, also depends on where he thermo is in the summer on what I wear.

i was talking to a few guys earlier today that dove jocasse recently and they said the temp was 60-65 degrees and the thermocline was around 70-100ft, and was 50-55degrees, brrrrrrr now thats cold.....well, for me it is anyway! i dont really plan on going that deep right this second, but i will be all around 60ft, guess i need to take that deep diver class!

This is from my dive log for dives made on April 1 last year at Jocassee:

"Surface water temp was 61 degrees, and 53 degrees at 43 ft."

It will be good to get back out there!

rainmaker:
This is from my dive log for dives made on April 1 last year at Jocassee:

"Surface water temp was 61 degrees, and 53 degrees at 43 ft."

It will be good to get back out there!

Rainmaker, so when are you and Lance planning to hit the water again?

For those of you who don't know Rainmaker and his dive buddy Lance, let me share a story with you. Last summer, my second weekend diving with my rental gear I had arranged for a buddy to dive with me that I met through a friend. I got to the lake early. I was so excited I could hardly stand it. Well at the appointed time, said buddy jumped off a boat and had decided to go diving that morning with other people instead of me in the afternoon.

So there I was. Like a little kid, standing all alone in theme park with my bag of cotton candy, but nobody to go on the rides with me. I think I might have been about to cry. Well, Rainmaker and Lance took note of me and had mercy on me. They let me tag along with them. I think that will always be one of my favorite dives. They were so kind to a noobie. I will be forever grateful and will always have a special place in my heart for these guys.

These guys are super guys. If you get a chance to meet them, it would be well worth your time. The are the Gentlemen of Jocassee! I really have a lot of respect for them both as divers and as people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom