question about diving jocasse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandmanz32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have a 3 mm suit with a 3/5mm hood, gloves and boots. will that be enough thermal protection for jocasse, or will i need to rent a 5 or 7mm suit? i REALLY dont wanna rent a suit someone else has peed in! LOL

YMMV but I wouldn't dare wear that in Jocassee right now. Before I got a drysuit I was diving it in a 7mm semi-dry. And I was so cold that I took all the money I could muster up and bought a dry suit.

J:

7mm minimum right now, maybe in June-Septermber a 3mm with a core warmer would do. We dive the 7's in August when we hit the wall, I recorded mid to low 60's below 70' during the hot days.
:monkeydan

In the summer, I am very comfortable in a 5-mil, down to about 87 feet. I'd still want something warmer if and when I go deeper. However, I frequently wear a 7-mil, even in the summer, and I'm very comfortable. Jocassee is very deep in places, and the temps range from 40-75-ish.

Sandmanz32, You might want to think about that warmer suit pluse a hood. Even in the shallows for the next month or so temps will be in the mid to low 60's at best. You should also bring some thermoses with something hot to drink this time of hear. I also bring a 5 gallon drink cooler filled with hot water to dump down my suit during the
SI.

If you ventured out of the hot hole area and got in the cold water---Jocassee is several degrees cooler than the cool water you hit. I am hoping when we do our next SCDOM (South Carolina dive of the month) that it is in the high 60's. If it is too cold for me to dive after the first dive, I am going to sit on the ramp and drink hot tea and juice and take in the beauty of the lake from above.

yea i did venture WAY away from the hot hole.....when me and my buddy suface we wee maybe 200 yards away from the boat. the water was cool but i wouldnt say it was cold. my thermometer said it was 65, and i was toasty warm :wink:

Last year, I got this urge to go diving in the middle of March. We'd had some real warm weather and I suppose it triggered some instinct to go diving. Anyway, I did ONE DIVE from the diver's ramp at Lake Jocassee. I nearly froze in my 7/5 with hood and gloves. I believe the water temp at 30 feet was 52 degrees. It was about a month before I tried it again.

I'll probably start diving at Jocassee again in a few weeks, but I'll be wearing a shorty 3/2 under my 7/5, along with hood and gloves. And I'll get out of the water between dives and warm up.

Oooohhhh!!! This is just the thread I've been needing!!

My LDS has a trip to Jocassee planned for 4/27-4/29, and I'd love to go along but I'm clueless as to what mm wetsuit to wear too. I just got back from my OW cert. dives in Weeki Wachee and Blue Grotto (72 degrees), and I was wearing a 3mm wetsuit. I actually got kinda chilly, but I'm thinking that it was because we were still for so long on the bottom while we were doing our check out procedures?

So a 7mm is a MINIMUM?? How deep is the thermocline?

I'm wanting to get a nice easy dive in with my instructors/ DMs close at hand in case I need them before I go on a shallow wreck dive in Myrtle Beach next month with another LDS. Gotta build my confidence a bit more before I giant stride into the open ocean, lol. I'm a big chicken at heart...... :chicken:

Back
Top Bottom