Question about cross certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if you compare the requirements for a C-card you will find that there are differences. What one agency says is enough may not get you qualified by another.

Most definitely, I'm just saying there are "core" skills that have been agreed upon for different certification levels. For instance, you'll learn how to clear a mask in a course from any agency.

For PADI, go to this page, scroll down to see where they tout being standards-compliant.

For NAUI, look on their Wikipedia page.

I don't have the info for any other agencies readily available, but these are two big ones.

I think if you compare the requirements for a C-card you will find that there are differences. What one agency says is enough may not get you qualified by another.

Most definitely, I'm just saying there are "core" skills that have been agreed upon for different certification levels. For instance, you'll learn how to clear a mask in a course from any agency.

For PADI, go to this page, scroll down to see where they tout being standards-compliant.

For NAUI, look on their Wikipedia page.

I don't have the info for any other agencies readily available, but these are two big ones.

People, why is this old chestnut being trotted out yet again?

This is NOT what the OP asked!

Yeesh...

Yeesh...

I wasn’t trotting out anything. dharmon made an inaccurate statement IMO and I was clarifying. Yeesh back at ya bud

dharmon:
This is incorrect. Several agencies agreed on a standard years ago. NAUI was not part of the process, but they are standards-compliant as of a few years ago.

Sorry, but you are mistaken. You are referring to the RSTC (WRSTC) standards. They were originally agreed to in 1985, before the RSTC was formed, by five certification agencies (NASDS, NAUI, PADI, SSI, and YMCA) and announced in January 1986 at DEMA in Orlando. I was there and picked up a copy at the time. When the RSTC was formed, YMCA refused to join, NAUI did join. NAUI later dropped out and YMCA joined. Other agencies are now a part of the RSTC.

NAUI's swimming standard does not meet RSTC requirements. NAUI once had a 225 yd swimming requirement that did comply with RSTC requirements. When they changed their swimming requirement to a set number (12?) of stroke cycles, they were no longer met the requirement of a 200 yd swim or a 300 yd snorkel.

All members of the RSTC have agreed that their individual agency standards will meet or exceed the RSTC standards. That is far different from having the same standards.

As I said before, each agency writes its own standards. Standards vary greatly from one agency to another.

SubMariner:

Yeesh...

I have no idea why this myth of all agencies having the same standard is still around. In dharmon's defense, I'm sure he meant well and did not intend to mislead anyone.

SSI Advanced is like PADI Master Diver, a collection of specialty cards ... I don't know what it would be accepted as.

SSI Advanced is like PADI Master Diver, a collection of specialty cards ... I don't know what it would be accepted as.

SSI issues an 'Advanced Open Water' card once you have done four specialties and 24 dives. My SSI AOW has always been accepted as equivalent to PADI AOW by the following agencies: BSAC, CDAA, PADI (one shop was trying to talk me into PADI DM, and said my SSI AOW was fine), TDI and various dive charters that require AOW.

I see it as being accepted as equivalent to PADI AOW.

My problem is with equivalencies. Since the content is variable, the diver must be assessed on the basis of being an OW diver with the specified specialties and the number of logged dives, that may mean they're well qualified or hardly at all, depending on the specialties and the upcoming activity/course.

My problem is with equivalencies. Since the content is variable, the diver must be assessed on the basis of being an OW diver with the specified specialties and the number of logged dives, that may mean they're well qualified or hardly at all, depending on the specialties and the upcoming activity/course.

Fair enough. That is not what happens in practice though. Though one agency (BSAC) I have crossed over to required me to demonstrate all the skills that they required plus a few more that my AOW didn't cover. The others did not require this.

There are differences in other AOWs too such as PADI though as people do have some choice over specialty dives.

Back
Top Bottom