Question about Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got an upcoming trip in early December, we will be staying at the Palace (that's already booked). But we'd like to know a little about how the Place works, specifically are there dunk tanks near the pier that are available for general use or only if you're diving with the on site op? Secondly we were looking at diving with Opal's Dream, however I recently learned that Aqua Safari is on site at the Palace again so they are an option too now. Any input about either of the 2 dive ops would be appreciated as well.

If I were you I would stick with Opal's Dream.Aqua Safari is also a good shop but operate larger slower boats and sometimes limit dive times.I have dove with both OPS and consider Opal's a better option.They will pick up at your pier,and also take care of your equipment throughout your stay.They will also make sure you have a fun and safe dive trip,there crew can't be beat in my opinion.

I have stayed at the Palace twice in the past 3 years. Other than the outside rinse shower the dive facilities are for those who are using the house op. I booked my dives with BlueXTsea and they kept my gear for the week except wetsuit. I would just haul it up to my room and use the large jacuzzi tub to fresh rinse/soak and then hang it outside on the balcony. All of the rooms at the palace have a balcony except the ones that face the street (which I would not book). My non-diving spouse loves the Palace. For an AI the food is quite good and the rooms are very nice.

Gaffer

I have stayed at the Palace probably 8 times and have always used the rinse tanks and dive lockers. The front desk will give you a key for the locker and I always dive with an offsite operator-Liquid Blue.

I've been 2x, but not since it was Aqua Safari before. Never an issue using the showers or rinse tanks*, or lockers when using either AS or an outside op. Back then, AS had the option of a "fast boat" that was the typ 6-pack for a few $$ more. Reserve it ASAP, as it fills-up. AS also gave us tanks for a shore dive 1 day. *got to watch a guy change the faucet's- without shutting off the water supply...

I have stayed at the Palace probably 8 times and have always used the rinse tanks and dive lockers. The front desk will give you a key for the locker and I always dive with an offsite operator-Liquid Blue.

Feney thanks that is good to know. I guess I just assumed that you had to be diving with the house op and never asked.

Gaffer

Cozumel Palace is wonderful. The on-site Dive Op, Aqua Safari, is not. I usually use other dive operations but periodically I use resort credits for an extra day of diving with Aqua Safari; I always end up regretting it. The DM's are great but the other divers tend to be very inexperienced. The boats are SLOW plus you will make a long stop at Park Royal while they pick up divers, make equipment changes, sort out the snorkelers and divers; it always takes much longer than you expect it to. The boats frequently accomodate 25 divers or more-- that's a lot of people to be in the water with. Usually the larger boats have a silver lining-- an onboard head. But at least one of the larger boats that AS uses doesn't have a head.

I've never had any issue using the rinse tanks at the Palace. It seems like more of a resort amenity rather than something that is attached to the dive shop.

I disagree about Aqua Safari; They're a good dive op depending on your preferences. Been diving with them for about 10 years and know their DMs well. Unfortunately they do have larger and slower boats which means more divers but I don't always consider that a bad thing. If weather is bad I'd rather be in a larger boat plus the larger boats have heads which smaller boats usually do not. Sucks getting caught in a storm and having no protection from elements on some of the smaller boats.

I've never had any of my dive times limited by them. Most of my dives averaged an hour or slightly longer. No 45 minute dives..

Aqua Safari also does not take out snorkelers, not sure where that came from? They would only stop at Park Royal if they had to pick up clients there. Are you confusing them with the previous dive op at Cozumel Palace which was Aqua World? Two very different operations!

A little background, Aqua Safari was always the on-site dive op for Cozumel Palace until it was taken over by Aqua World. Aqua World is a huge, commercial/impersonal dive op which has very large boats and mostly inexperienced divers. Very recently, Aqua World was kicked out of the place and Aqua Safari was brought back in.

Aqua Safari also does have one small boat, the Belinda which is limited to 8 divers. It leaves a half hour earlier than their larger boats. You may want to look into diving on the Belinda if you dive Aqua Safari.

plus you will make a long stop at Park Royal while they pick up divers, make equipment changes, sort out the snorkelers and divers;

That sounds like Aqua World's routine as I remember it from long ago. Then we went to Santa Rosa wall for some diver's first dive with a c-card...

Dave might be confusing Aqua World with Aqua Safari, we were at Cozumel Palace 9/15 - 9/22 and Aqua World was still the dive Op on site. The day before we left Manuel told us Aqua Safari was coming back as the dive op. I'm looking forward to using Aqua Safari on our next trip to the Palace.

No issue with using the rinse tanks at the Palace if you dive with an offsite operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom