Question about Atomic reg and octo pairing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the market for regulator sets for my wife and myself. Being that I have to buy 2 sets of everything, I can't go all out on the cost. That being said, from what I've been able to gather from researching, I've got my eyes set on the Atomic Z2x. They are easy breathers which is VERY important to me and are considered excellent for warm water diving which is all we do.

The price of the Z2x is about $500. Looking at octopus regulators I was preferring to stay within the same manufacturer. The Atomic Z2 octo runs for almost $300. That seemed pretty steep in comparison to so many other octos and rockets the total reg price to $800.

Would it be wise to pair with another octo that's less costly? If so any recommendations?

FYI, I'm pricing this stuff off of Leisurepro.

Thanks

I just picked up a Z2 reg with a Mares Alternate on it. I too like to keep my regulator systems uniformed, and at some time I will switch out the Mares for an Atomic. But if you initial cost is a concern, I would start with the Z2X 1st & 2nd stages and get a less expensive Octo...just remember you get what you pay for, but at least your primary reg will be great quality.

Personally, the safe second stage is there to assist my buddy in case he has a problem with his regulator or if he runs out of air. It's also there, if my own primary second stage malfunctions. In any of the fore mentioned scenarios, I will likely be under some stress and will be breathing harder than normal. Neither my buddy or I would like breathe from an inferior second stage. As such, I carry the same performing second stage (ironically, the same as the one you are considering, the Atomic Z2).

If you find an octopus that has identical performance and is less expensive, then go for it, provided that both you and your buddy are familiar with its operation.

Thanks for the answers so far.
I'm looking into acceptable alternatives. Being that the octo is for use after a failure of some type, top tier performance is not of the utmost importance IMO because if that octo is needed it will be only for the duration needed end the dive. But of course I have no intention on settling with junk either.

Looking at Hollis 321 and Cressi Ellipse as possible octos at this point.

Last edited:
Any full sized, reasonably priced 2nd stage will work perfectly fine. Don't get drawn in by the nonsense that you have to spend a lot to get a good performing 2nd stage. Of course, this advice is coming from someone who rarely spends more than $50 on a regulator, but I'm very confident that what I have breathes at least as well as anything atomic is making.

The reason the octo is so expensive probably has something to do with allowing Atomic to 'underprice' (from their perspective) the initial reg set so that it compares with competing brands, with the thought that they'll make back some profit by over-pricing the octo. I suspect this is fairly common in the very competitive dive gear industry.

There is the service issue to consider; it's less convenient to have to send your octo one place and your primary first/second another. Maybe you can find a better deal on the atomic octo.

While the Atomic Reg you are looking at is excellent, based on what kind of diving you will be doing it maybe overkill. I offer this suggestion that will also solve your Octo issue and reduce your cost considerably. Right now Aqualung is offering its Titian LX (fully balanced 1st and second) with a free Titan Octo. This Reg is all any recreational diver will ever need and is good as any on the market. Also, AL has the only real Free Parts for Life Program. Have the Reg checked every year, and rebuilt every other year and parts are free. Many other advantages to AL lung brand items, but if you visit a dealer or check their web site you can see these for yourself. I am a dive professional, and have more regs than anyone needs (Oceanic FDX10, Scuba Pro MK25, HOG DS, and and Atomic T2 among several others), I have put my Navy Officer daughter in the Titian LX for safety and service as she travels world wide.

While the Atomic Reg you are looking at is excellent, based on what kind of diving you will be doing it maybe overkill. I offer this suggestion that will also solve your Octo issue and reduce your cost considerably. Right now Aqualung is offering its Titian LX (fully balanced 1st and second) with a free Titan Octo. This Reg is all any recreational diver will ever need and is good as any on the market. Also, AL has the only real Free Parts for Life Program. Have the Reg checked every year, and rebuilt every other year and parts are free. Many other advantages to AL lung brand items, but if you visit a dealer or check their web site you can see these for yourself. I am a dive professional, and have more regs than anyone needs (Oceanic FDX10, Scuba Pro MK25, HOG DS, and and Atomic T2 among several others), I have put my Navy Officer daughter in the Titian LX for safety and service as she travels world wide.

That's definitely a good option to keep in mind. They're going for $450 at Divers Direct which has a store close to me. If the breathing performance (effort) is really good with these and they come with free octo, it may now top my list.
Any idea when the free octo deal ends?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't forget that the Atomics have a 2-year service interval - if your other-brand Octo requires service more often, you may end up paying more in the long term...

I started out with a B2 primary, and a cheapie Aeris swivel alternate. It worked fine, but the Aeris was never comfortable to breathe from, and needed adjustement more often. It worked, but since I like to breathe my "backup" now and then just to make sure it's in good condition, it was always annoying. I eventually got a Z2 octo and have been happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom