Question about anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take some time. Get some private lessons and try to work with someone one-on-one.

As you've heard, many people had issues initially and turn into divers (not just people who dive).

My first pool class I got out of the pool. Couldn't be without a reg in my mouth, freaked me right out. And that was in the shallow end, in about 4 feet of water on my knees... I worked with an instructor in a private lesson and by the end of the night I was really having a good time :)

As long as you have air, you are fine. Everything else is simply an inconvenience :)

As long as you have air, you are fine. Everything else is simply an inconvenience

Bless you, Diver0001. I can't begin to count the number of times I've quoted that.

TSandM:
Bless you, Diver0001. I can't begin to count the number of times I've quoted that.

TSandM: A buddy of mine who spent years teaching divers told me that after my first pool session...

But I always liked roturners 'everything else is just an inconvenience' addendum :wink:

Everyone has given you good advice by what I can tell. I would suggest a one on one with the instructor and close your eyes and just sit there for a while on the bottom of the shallow end, just be still, calm and relaxed when your COMFORTABLE move out a bit (the pool should slope instead of a drop off) continue moving down until your UNcomfortable again, then close your eyes, be still and relax, repeat until your on the bottom COMFORTABLY. This helps with pool work, but NOT with the BIG pool. I suspect that if you are comfortable on the pool bottom you can overcome your fears in the ocean. I would suggest a beach dive for your first OW dive as this too should be a gradual slope and not a drop off. Good luck and have fun, if it ain't fun you ain't doin it right. :)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. As I was reading through it was interesting that everyone tended to hit a point of the overall picture. Initially, I was uncomfortable even in the shallow end but, by the end of the night I was having a good time. In fact, I was disappointed when it was time to call it a night. My reaction was, "But I still have 2000 lbs. left in my tank". That was the first session.

I guess I was sort of put off when, on the next session, I didn't have the same comfort level in the deep end that I had achieved in the shallow end. At first I must have had a thousand "what if" scenarios running through my head. What if I can't get enough air. What if I choke. What if something happens and I can't get to the surface. I could on and on.

I have a great instructor and the DM that was there spent practically his whole time with just me. Which was great but then that kind of added to it. I've always been a fast learner but, I couldn't help feeling like I was holding up the class. Although, never in the entire session did they ever try to rush me. In fact, they both kept telling me to take my time.

That being said, I still can't wait until the next session. Hopefully, I'll feel a little more comfortable. After all, I did it once I guess I can do it twice. Then I guess I'll go through it all again when it's time for open water. I'm determined to get through this. Knowing that several others experienced the same thing really helps.

I'm a new diver also. I'm probably going to get the wraths of the Dive Gods after me by making the following statement/suggestion.

When I started diving, talking about the depth of the water always seemed to conjure up the images that it would take too long to get to the surface in the event of an emergency. So I put the depth in land distance perspective, i.e. if I panic at 25fsw and have to hit the surface that's equivalent of swimming up the length of my family room, hey that's not so far, 60fsw, the distance from the goal line to the edge of the penalty area on a soccer field, or 20 yards on a football field.

Now I'm not advocating that you bolt to the surface from any depth, but by getting that perspective about how far you actually are, from the surface, may allow you to relax and overcome some of your anxiety.

Doing any of the exercises required for the OW cert, most are designed to put you in 'what if' situations where you may well be uncomfortable. The biggest fcator I found here to overcoming any panic or anxiety is to do everything slowly, relax and get calm. So, as soon as that mask comes off, for instance, relax, count to 5, suck a few breathes and then when comfortable, do the drill at a leisurely pace. Even the CESA can be done at a relaxed pace.

Hope this helps.

Another new diver here.

I too, had to overcome many anxieties, but I'm getting more and more comfortable. One interesting thing that I noticed was that in the pool, I was much more comfortable at the bottom of the deep end than I was at or near the surface in the shallow end. I think that while at or near the surface the water is splashing and I have a natural tendency to want to spit out the regulator and take a full breath of open air. But while at the bottom, the regulator becomes my friend.

(ChrisEdwards, I like your reference of the 18 yard penalty area on a soccer field. My handle refers to my many years as a referee and my vast experience at displaying the "red card")

John

I was anxious in my pool sessions too. While I would sit at the bottom and wait for my turn to do skills, I would sing a song in my head to calm me, or count tiles on the bottom of the pool floor. This would make me not think about my breathing and just let it come naturally. It helped alot, and I'm not anziou about it anymore!

Don't worry, you will be able to relax more in time!

I had major anxiety during my second confined water session. I freaked out and started shaking and stuff. I had trouble with the mask removal, then the class moved on so I ended up being behind about 4 skills. I stayed in the pool when everyone got out and practiced all the skills I was having trouble with while the DM watched. After I got the first one down I was more confident and I was able to do the rest. The instructor kindly arranged another pool session so those of us who were struggling could get more practise. When it came to the open water check out dives I was a LOT happier because I was confident I wouldn't freak out, even though the vis was terrible.

The bottom line is (IMO) don't worry how long it takes you, it's really important you are comfortable so don't let anyone rush you. You need to be comfortable to be safe. Only you can dictate how long it takes you to get comfortable with skills.

good luck!

ns

I totally flipped out my first time scuba diving. 3 years later, Ive made it through to AOW and 3 specialty courses with hopes of taking Rescue next summer!

I did my Discover dive down in the Bahamas and they took us to a shallow 10-ft deep cove. I was SOOO excited to try scuba diving, loved everything about it.....until I tried to descend. I didn't have a problem at the surface putting my face in the water and breathing through the reg, but underwater I felt so out of control w/ the environment and I felt really claustrophobic underwater that I kept hypervenilating, panicking, and bolting to the surface (much to my instructors displeasure). But I knew it was something I really wanted to do, so I thought through the process and kept telling myself over and over to "just relax.. it'll be ok.. don't get crazy..".

You'll be fine, don't worry, as everyone has said, almost everyone has dealt with this at some point in our scuba development. The important thing is that you recognize that it's a mostly a psychological obstacle that you can get past if you remind yourself to go slow, trust your training and your instructors, relax, and remember: this is fun! :)

Back
Top Bottom