Quest for a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a CLX 450 and have dived it maybe 15 times. I really don' t like the feeling of diving in a Dry Suit. It feels like I am diving in a bag and I am not happy with the slight loss of control on ascent as you 'wait' for the shoulder cuff to dump.

Hopefully your experience is better, I am strongly considering selling it...staying with layered neopreme...and it that's not warm enough, simply not diving.

Otter,
Sorry to hear about your problems with your drysuit. I don't know your drysuit training background, so please don't be insulted if I cover something you are already familiar with.
1st of all, make sure you are properly weighted with your drysuit. You should only have enough air in it to feel comfortable. The suit should squeeze GENTLY all around. More than this and you may be having too large of an air bubble which will cause the "bag" and "slight loss of control" you are experiencing. Take the time to get your weighting down correctly - it can make all the difference in the world.
2nd - on ascent, make sure your valve is adjusted fully open (all the way counterclockwise) this way is should vent properly upon ascent. If you feel yourself loosing control, manually open the valve by pushing down on it to fully vent it. Having your elbow raised also helps the venting process. You should not be ascending faster than your suit can vent. If you are, check your ascent rate.
3rd - and I probably should have said this 1st - is the suit/undergarment properly fitted to you? If the fit isn't correct, you will definitely have a "air bubble effect" which can make things very uncomfortable as well as make buoyancy very hard to adjust.
Otter, give the suit a chance. Many new Dry Suit Divers need as many as 50 dives to be totally comfortable. I suggest you try it a few more times with either a qualified instructor and/or experienced drysuit diver. This should help considerably.
Keep in touch and let us know how you make out.
Take Care,
George

Update: I've now done 83 dives with my DUI.

Today I noticed a few minor issues.
  • My zip seals are showing hairline fractures (still keep me dry though)
  • One of the patches where the suspenders are attached to the inside of the suit is coming (partly) undone.
The fact that I tumbled down a concrete ramp in full gear left no mark on the suit (or me). :thumbs_up:

The zipper still works nicely even though it has only been lubricated twice.

That's all. :D

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great event! Good to hear.

Now, when you are ready to buy, check out ScubaGearPlus for some great deals. They ship to Europe daily - evidently the local dealers there really like to mark up prices!

Update: I've now done 83 dives with my DUI.

Today I noticed a few minor issues.
  • My zip seals are showing hairline fractures (still keep me dry though)
  • One of the patches where the suspenders are attached to the inside of the suit is coming (partly) undone.
The fact that I tumbled down a concrete ramp in full gear left no mark on the suit (or me). :thumbs_up:

The zipper still works nicely even though it has only been lubricated twice.

That's all. :D
I forgot to mention that now, after 11 months and 104 dives, the DUI labels have disappeared from my Rockboots as well as one inner sole has come loose.

I've had two floods (both caused by user error :blush:) and I managed to rip my neckseal before a dive. :banghead:

Still quite happy with my drysuit. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom