Quest for a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The XXL Jet Fins should fix my fin problem just right. Not because they're heavier, just because they should fit my feet better.

That's why I didn't comment on the fins.:D
You know I think you need SPLITS.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

It's not red, it's pink.

Bedankt!
:wink:

This actually was a DUI hood. I just didn't put the rest of the hood under the suit.
I ordered my TLS350 without the warm neck hood option, two of my friends experienced it popping out of it's groove two times out of three.

Last edited:
The Whites Fusion is not a trilam suit, true.

But to be fair, there is also the skin to consider. The bi-lam 'bag' is covered by teh skin, to add additional support and strength. A regular bi-lam, without a skin, is less durable.

I just received my Fusion, and compared to my old suit (a trilam) I don't think I'll be losing anything. In truth, I think the Fusion will probably hold up better, given the flexabilty of the suit.

I agree with El Orans that all trilam material is not created equal. The defining trait is three layers of material, an inner and outer layer, usually nylon and an inner butyl rubber layer with all three calendered together into a single piece of fabric. However the thickness and strenght of the nylon layers will vary. Personally though, after installeing pee vlaves in a variety of trilams I have discovered that the material on even the thickest trilam you can find is far thinner than you think based on how it feels.

I also agree that the whites fusion is not a trilam, but then again it is also not a bilam in the traditional sense. A bilaminate suit is a suit made from nylon with a polyurethane coating on the inside - the nylon provides strenght and the polyurethane coating provides water tight integrity. And it works great until the polyeurethane begins to delaminate when the adhesive bond fails(which does not take long at all). I am not sure exactly what process or inner material white's uses but it is not the same as the traditional bilam nylon/poly coated process and appears to me to be much more durable.

I also agree that durability will be greatly improved with the over size bag and compression skin approach as the first point of failure in a traditonal bilam was always the seams. The seams in the fusion are not greatly stressed and in any event they are very well done with a sewn and then taped process.

What the White's fusion offers is extremly good flexibility for any dry suit and it also allows a great deal of operational felxibility in that you can dive it in a pair os polypro sweats or heavy duty underwear and get equally good fit and flexibility at each extreme - something a triam cannot deliver as it will either be excessively baggy at one extreme or restrict freedom of motion at the other.

I had another go with the TLS350 today.

Instead of the 300 g undergarment, I used the 400 g version. Yes, I was melting pretty good before I got into the water. :11: The weight was kept the same (12 KG/26 Lbs)

Since my XL Jet Fins proved to be a PITA yesterday, I had to choose between the XXL Jet Fins or the Turtle fins. The pocket on the XXL Jet Fins was too big, allowing too much movement so I went with the Turtle fins.

Did I mention yet that I really start to like this suit? :)

You can speak with El Orans in dutch. :D

Guess I could,but it would drive the rest of you crazy.:rofl3::rofl3:

Unfortunately I won't be able to take the Fusion for a test dive so I'll have to contend myself with a fitting session in the store.

A test dive with the Seemann is planned for Monday 16th.

[hijack]
Too bad that they couldn't fit El Zee with a standard suit size, which meant that she could only play with a Halcyon Eclipse 30 lbs BP/W set-up. :(
20080607-001.jpg

She did like this set-up though. A 3KG/6Lbs backplate with a 3 KG STA meant that she could leave her weightbelt in the car. She was slightly troubled by floaty feet (in a wetsuit) but that was easily cured by having her use my jet Fins.[/hijack]

I went diving with 300bar today who kindly supplied me with a Seemann Extender so I could try that one.

20080616-003.jpg

As is clear from the picture the suit looks very much like a TLS350 only with MSRP that's about 50% of the DUI...

One zippered pocket is standard as are rockboots.

Jet Fins XL still are not roomy enough for these boots. Unfortunately, no Turtle fins were available today. Just some split fins... :shakehead:

The standard undergarment (500g) was too restrictive (wrong size) so I did dive with a 200g undergarment.

I probably could have used a bit more weight (salt water, different tank) so keeping my depth at the safety stop proved a little difficult. Other than that, no major problems. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom