Quarry Rangers! Divemasters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robway034

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was diving in Cozumel with a respected buddy of mine who just happened to be a divemaster. In any case, once we got back to the boat, I was taken aback by one of his fellow divemasters commenting on the fact that this was his "FIRST" dive from a boat in the open ocean! As circumstances would have it, this divemaster had never been diving in the ocean or in a body of water large enough to require a boat. By thier own admission, they went from OW to DM in the very same quarry in less than 2 years. Now, before anyone accuses me of snobbery or being unfair, I will state for the record that this guy's dive skills where " spot on". Truth be told, there where people on this very same dive with dozens of ocean/boats dives in their logs books (or so they claimed) who looked like they learned to dive via correspondence (puh-leeez.. no comments about the new online PADI classes).
Anyway, I am not too sure how well this whole thing sets with me. When I brought it up at a "gathering" of fellow divers I was suprised by the diversity of commentary I received from the audience. So, that being said, I figured it might spark just as much interest and conversation here. So what do you guys think of a divemaster (or higher certification) who's practical experience is limited to a rock quarry?

Robway
PADI DM

It is not uncommon.

I have over 400 dives, but maybe only about 2 dozen in salt water. When I dive in salt water, I have to pause and remind myself that it's not the same environment that I'm used to- there are currents, tides, predators, oh my!

I have lots of dives in quarries, but I do dive in a lake or hole in the ground once in a blue moon. :D

They sure don't offer a whole lot in terms of experience to a class, but the agencies allow it, so it cant be stopped.

Its also much safer than a DM from the tropics trying to convert to a DM in the quarries.

robway034:
So what do you guys think of a divemaster (or higher certification) who's practical experience is limited to a rock quarry?

Robway
PADI DM

The Jamaican bobsled team comes to mind. they were good.

I think that I care a lot more about a diver's skills and experience than I do about their certification. I'm not accustomed to diving under a DM's supervision, and on the few occasions I've had to, I've had mixed experiences. So long as a DM with quarry-only experience limits him or herself to quarry-only diver supervision roles, I don't have a problem with it.

I have a great deal of respect for DMs who are able to provide me with useful information and guidance, and I've found that those who cannot do so are easy to spot. My only concern with DMs having such limited experience is that it creates an opportunity for the proverbial "blind leading the blind". Hopefully, such a DM would know his limitations and keep his ego in check when out of his element.

robway034:
So what do you guys think of a divemaster (or higher certification) who's practical experience is limited to a rock quarry?

Robway
PADI DM

Or springs, or lakes, or whatever. No, it does not detract anything from their qualifications. Personal experience is another matter. If he's only been diving in the same hole for two years, then he would be rather green to be in a DM role anywhere outside of that quarry.

I think a more appropriate question is whether they were competent enough to utilize ways of familiarizing themselves to the new area, ie. talking to locals, looking at maps, etc.

Just because someone hasn't had the pleasure of saltwater diving does not detract anything from a person's skills. Like you said, he had better skills than other divers in the group. If he had any sort of role as a DM on the boat, then there would be cause for concern, as he has no prior experience as in saltwater and all the additional challenges that become present because of this.

A divemaster from environment A trying to dive in environment B will always be an iffy situation.

Just as a "Quarry Ranger" DM wouldn't have much credibility when diving in the ocean, a "WWW" DM wouldn't have much credibility when diving the Great Lakes or a quarry.

I'm a (very new) DM and I only have 2 quarry dives. When I dove the quarry last weekend I asked the DM that was familiar w/ the quarry pointers. He was happy to help, just as I would if our roles were reversed. Not everyone has the luxury of living by the ocean or the means to go to it on a regular basis. Diving in 45 degree water at 90ft w/ 2ft vis is probably more difficult that 99% of the dives that take place in the Carribbean. A DM is a DM as long as they are limiting their role to the environment in which they have experience.

A while back (okay, QUITE a while back), I wanted to be a part of a science diver expedition in the Gulf of Mexico. However, when I applied I was honest and told them I didn't have too many dives (about 25), and only a few in the ocean. The organizers said that wasn't awful, but they wanted me to have some more salt dives. I was going to Cozumel before the expedition date, so I got in some more boat dives and all went well.
While on the expedition and after the first few dives, we were sitting around talking and I asked, "I have to know...just what was the real reason for requiring the additional ocean dives?"
The program director said, "We just wanted to know that you were up to the stresses of ocean dives."
To which I replied, "Let me get this straight. Where I typically dive, I'm doing good to see my fin tips. I have on every stitch of neoprene because the water is 65 degrees below the thermocline at 12 feet, and I have to juggle a big light at noon because it's DARK. Here in the Gulf, the water is 85 degrees and I'm in a lightweight shorty, vis is 150 feet, and I can see my partner so well I can read his thoughts by looking at his eyes. WHAT STRESSES ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?"
Just because the ocean is big doesn't mean it's harder to dive in. Just ask some Texas Swamp Divers (another SB forum) and they'll be glad to tell you about what we commonly dive in...mud puddles! I'm sure others from other areas can share the same sentiment..."if we can dive in THIS, what do we have to fear?"
Now, before I get flamed...I'm not naiive. I know ocean diving poses other very serious challenges. However, I rarely feel as routinely stressed during ocean dives as I do in some cold, dark lake. I think that there are others who feel the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom