Quarry Lake--Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been such a long time. We did not jump the fence I don't believe. we geared up in some apartments behind the quarry. We then had to walk a considerable way - towards 183 to get lower so we could walk into the quarry. Still, not worth it but we did not cover the entire area so there might be something there.

Yeah...I wouldn't want to do that or crawl over the fence. There's a much easier way in there and right by an easy entry. Doesn't sound like it's worth the gasoline to drive the 4-5 miles from my place to the quarry anyway. :(

We used to swim out there in my HS days. From what I've heard over the years, there should be some heavy equipment left down there in the deeper areas. Rumors from old scroggs who dove it and liked to tell tall tales is that there are some interesting "round globs of an odd liquid substance" in the deeper parts...see toxic waste urban legend. I've always wanted to check it out...

i dove it about 20 years ago. rumor was that while a Crane was digging out the quarry, it hit a spring and was left under water. kids would then dive in and get caught in the cables and drowned. kinda like the VW bug size catfish in Travis, not true. we did find two cars, a newspaper machine and miscellaneous items. like i said, that was 20 years ago. if your into scavenging dives like me, it might be worth it. should be a good amount of junk lost and thrown into it.

I too spent a lot of time out there in the 80s swimming and cliff jumping, back when there was nothing built around there. Dove there a few times in the early 90's, there were several vehicles down there and lots of stuff to scavenge. At the time visibility was really good and there were tons of fish. Few years later there was big story on the news regarding the removal of the vehicles and a possible insurance scam ring.

I too spent a lot of time out there in the 80s swimming and cliff jumping, back when there was nothing built around there. Dove there a few times in the early 90's, there were several vehicles down there and lots of stuff to scavenge. At the time visibility was really good and there were tons of fish. Few years later there was big story on the news regarding the removal of the vehicles and a possible insurance scam ring.

Wow, I never saw that story...so maybe it is all cleaned out now? I think someone needs to go check...

:eyebrow:

I had to do that for my PADI Criminal Trespass Diver specialty.....

Trespassing? Divers would never do something like that just for a little dip. :D

Actually, there are entrances to the footpath around the quarry that don't say anything more than "Swim at your own risk!" I think anyone who hasn't bee out there in a few years would notice a big difference.

It's a nice little lake with a footpath all the way around. Austin Pure has a dock at one end. They rent out kayaks and their members swim. Pretty, 6' wrought iron fence around it...real quaint. Kinda upscale compared to the what I've heard about it from folks who were there 10-20 years ago. :wink:

Whether the diving has changed, who knows? I guess someone is gonna have to go out there and find out. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom