Quarry dives...do you log them as "official dives"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a practical point of view..........

Put them ALL in your log book. If you do not you will not have an accurate documentation of your individual breadth of experience. It is the exception and not the norm that someone wants to see your log book. Over time your log book will become the best reference document you'll have. Now, training agencies have minimum requirements for training purposes. After all, if one is found in a pool, lake, quarry or golf course pond on the bottom in scuba gear, it will be said that one was diving.

I agree with a previous poster........for personal dive records, if it appears on one's computer, log it.

Regards,

k4man:
:D Brutus,
sounds like you've been looking at my logbook:D

And, I can tell--aside from your name--that you've seen the Ohio quarries like Portage and Gilboa. Rock on!!

Fellow Ohio Diver
Kevin:14:
Yeah buddy I've seen them. Actually my next goal is finding the Dragon Wagon I think it's called at Portage Quarry it's in the middle of the quarry with no guide ropes and nothing around it and it's apparently painted black in a real dark part of the quarry and your navigation has to be dead on to find it. ONe of the guys on the dive team there called it the "HOLY GRAIL" of Portage. I'm going to try to find it on the weekend of the HSA bar-b-q pig roast. If not before then I'm going to Florida this week though
I would rather dive quarries and live in Ohio then anywhere else in the world....

P.S. I love the midwest. I love Ohio Football and the buckeyes. I love the people. I love the seasons. I love the lake up north, and the hills in the southeast, I love columbus cleveland and cincy,
I love the clippers, the crew, the bucks, the cavs, the indians the browns, the destroyers, and all the cincy teams (although cleveland is first) I love OSU, OU, Miami, Akron, Toledo, BGSU, YSU, UD, Xavier, UC, but msot of all like I said before I love Football especially high school football go Chieftains beat the golden gales
I'm not trying to start a state war just stating that I have home-town pride

7milehi:
I read a few years ago that there was a place you could dive an old flooded nuclear missle silo. If I remember correctly it was about 50' in diameter and 120' deep. That might not count as open water but it would sure count for deep water.

I believe this is what you are talking about...

http://www.familyscuba.com/index.cfm?SECTION=696

7milehi:
I read a few years ago that there was a place you could dive an old flooded nuclear missle silo. If I remember correctly it was about 50' in diameter and 120' deep. That might not count as open water but it would sure count for deep water.
Valhalla
60' in diameter, and 130' deep (not recommended to go past 110', IIRC).

Anyone wanna go? :D

(I'll most certainly log it when I eventually get to dive it.)

Did anyone see the pool that was like 130 ft. deep with caverns that was posted in the pool thread a few days ago? Here's the better question would you log that and my answer to that is most certinly ... I mean if the possiblity of getting bent is a realistic possibility it's a dive

A quarry dive is a dive. Do it. Log it. Count it.

But remember...

The first time you're on a crowded 6-pack, fifteen miles from land, and you've been hurling breakfast and then dry heaving the whole hour trip out, and they just spent another half hour setting the hook while you were struggling to get your dry suit on in 4-6 seas, overheating while the cold spray is stinging your face, and there's a ripping current with 5-foot viz, and you're slinging a bail-out bottle for the first time, with more weight than you're used to, and you're about to do your first "Jersey Roll" over the side into choppy 45deg water, when you notice that you're "buddy" who hit the water just a second ago is long gone, and you're praying that the 50' boat doesn't slam down on you after you hit the water, and you're hoping that if you don't get to the downline to the Carolina rig quick enough that you can at least grab the trail line before the current takes you past the ball, and you're trying to remember which compass heading to follow because the wreck was wire dragged and depth-charged sixty years ago so it's nothing more than scattered hull plates, and then once you get down to 90' it's not only snotty viz but "night-dive" dark, and you're all alone, hoping you can find your way back to the anchor at the end of the dive without getting tangled in your wreck reel, so you can do your ascent on the line, otherwise you'll need to shoot a bag in the middle of the ocean and hope that the boat sees you, and that you don't drift even further away while you're doing your safety stop, puking through your regulator, and when you finally do get back to the boat you need to perfectly time your exit with the boat hopping +/- eight feet so you don't have the ladder crack your skull, and you're struggling to get your fins on and up every step, so you don't fall off, potentially getting swept past the ball again, so you can get to the top without pinching a finger off as the metal ladder repeatedly crashed into the boat, and climb over the transom with 100lbs of gear on, shuffle back across the crowded deck back to your 18" of space on the bench, with what little gear you could bring aboard stuffed into a milk crate under your seat, so you can get out of your rig, while not slipping on the deck or tripping on scattered gear as the boat is still tossing, in order to get your BC off your first tank and onto your second, changing your regs over, with both tanks bungied to the rail so that they don't fall and break someone's foot, while you try to make sure your mask doesn't go overboard, because you just remembered that your backup is in your trunk which is not across the parking lot but back at the dock, and you're starving but forgot to bring anything to eat and there's no snack bar on a boat, and the captain is now trying to get everyone back in the water for the second dive because he wants you back on board by 11am so he can slam you around for an hour while you're breaking down and stowing your gear at 20kts to get back to the dock in time for you to get all your crap off the boat in about 30 seconds without forgetting anything, and wondering how much to tip the crew...

dorothy-toto.jpg

"I don't think we're in a quarry anymore..."

All the time spent in the quarry has prepared you for this dive to some extent, but know that - like any new environment - this is your first dive like this!

I had my DM instructor tell me that any time I breathed compressed air in some place other than a pool, log it. I volunteered several times at a spring only 22 feet deep. She said if you could get hurt doing it, it counted as a dive. (yes I know you could get hurt in a 10 feet pool)

osuschreck:
I had my DM instructor tell me that any time I breathed compressed air in some place other than a pool, log it. I volunteered several times at a spring only 22 feet deep. She said if you could get hurt doing it, it counted as a dive. (yes I know you could get hurt in a 10 feet pool)

She prolly meant hurt=DCS or AGE...

RJP:
... and stowing your gear at 20kts to get back to the dock in time for you to get all your crap off the boat in about 30 seconds without forgetting anything, and wondering how much to tip the crew...

All the time spent in the quarry has prepared you for this dive to some extent, but know that - like any new environment - this is your first dive like this!

Yeah... but, not EVERYONE dives the Bering Straight at night... :wink:

RJP:

But remember...

The first time you're on a crowded 6-pack, fifteen miles from land, and you've been hurling breakfast and then dry heaving the whole hour trip out, and they just spent another half hour setting the hook while you were struggling to get your dry suit on in 4-6 seas, overheating while the cold spray is stinging your face, and there's a ripping current with 5-foot viz, and you're slinging a bail-out bottle for the first time, with more weight than you're used to, and you're about to do your first "Jersey Roll" over the side into choppy 45deg water, when you notice that you're "buddy" who hit the water just a second ago is long gone, and you're praying that the 50' boat doesn't slam down on you after you hit the water.....

Sounds like my last dive on the Alimante but we did have fun... didn't we?

You're taking all the fun out of the dive... now I'm going to be thinking about all the preparations rather than enjoying the fact that I can see something when I'm down there... most of the time.

GREAT POST !!! It is so on the money with the visualizations... thanks for sharing it.

Back
Top Bottom