Quarry dives...do you log them as "official dives"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP:
Sounds like you've been there (and learned to write well somewhere along the way). Thanks, I truly enjoyed it.

Let's see, to comfortably dive the quarry near me you need a drysuit to go beyond 50 feet, it is big enough that they would have to drag to find you at the deepest point (160 feet) I think that would be open water...:)

Mike

mikerault:
Let's see, to comfortably dive the quarry near me you need a drysuit to go beyond 50 feet, it is big enough that they would have to drag to find you at the deepest point (160 feet) I think that would be open water...:)

Mike

Yesterday, at our local quarry, I needed the drysuit to go beyond 30 feet (of course, I was ROASTING while gearing up in the 98 degree heat!). And you had to go beyond 30 feet to get more than 3 feet of vis.

The deepest spot in the quarry is reputed to be 200 or so feet. I did 2 90 foot cavern dives in a drysuit. They got logged.

I've been busy so I didn't have the chance to reply to all your answers. Just so you all know that this wasn’t a troll, my wife and I have access to the St. Lawrence River, were certified in the river, and dive there just about weekend. I was asking as I've never dived in a quarry before, and wasn't sure if the quarry counted as an official dive.

I now know that they are, which is a great relief as the quarry I that is close by is a "dive park" with full shore facilities; sunken objects to look at like a small airplane, mock submarine, and several cars. It ranges in depth from 10 to over 150 feet. The cost is minimal, especially when compared to a river charter, and will allow my wife and I to log a few deep dives. We can log deep dives in the Rover, but for the most part, the best sites are boat dives and do to weekly charters would be too expensive.

We dove in this same quarry last Wednesday, and it was an experience. First off, we forgot about the thermo clines, and showed up with our warm water suits. (Bare 5/4mm) The first thermocline in this particular quarry is at about 25 feet, and let me tell you, when we pushed through it and descended to the 55 foot mark, we earned a whole new meaning for the term cold water. (The water was about 40 degrees)

Live and learn. Next time we'll take the full 7mm Artic suits w vests and even then, it still might be too cold to brave the second thermocline, which I hear kicks in around the 90 foot mark.

Anyway, Thanks again for the help.

Safe Dives.

7mm with a tri-weight dive skin will probably handle it ok. You could always get a dry suit!

Mike

badger70:
Are dives in those large tourist attraction aquariums OW? They seem closed but there is plenty of sea life to check out and swim with. I am diving at one in Colorado this weekend. I hear there's a cool one at Epcot in FL that lets you dive too. Even if its not technically OW it should be fun.
I do not log any of mine and I am in aquariums about once a week.

mikerault:
7mm with a tri-weight dive skin will probably handle it ok. You could always get a dry suit!

Mike

We've got Bare, 7mm Artic full wetsuits, and 7mm Artic Hooded Vests.

If we stay above the second thrermo (90 feet or shallower) we should be okay. Given where we live, and both of us wanting to extend our season, we'll probably go to dry suits next year.

Storm:
We dove in this same quarry last Wednesday, and it was an experience. First off, we forgot about the thermo clines, and showed up with our warm water suits. (Bare 5/4mm) The first thermocline in this particular quarry is at about 25 feet, and let me tell you, when we pushed through it and descended to the 55 foot mark, we earned a whole new meaning for the term cold water. (The water was about 40 degrees)

Storm, one of the quarries near us runs about 150ft, however, the first thermo is at about 35 ft (and it was about 88 farenheit yesterday, above the 1st thermocline) and drops to low 50's on the bottom.

We were playing around a school bus yesterday which lies at 70 feet, and getting pretty cold (in a 3mm Henderson gold core fullsuit, no hood, no nuttin'...). Computer said 69 degrees, I think it was a tad cooler...

Question is... at what temp do you start feeling the Bare 5/4 is no longer up to the job (I just ordered a Progressive Stretch 5/4 from Bare... so I'm very curious).

DivingCRNA:
Everyone knows that the husband/boyfriend is the SCUBA gear pack mule!

Boy did I get the shaft! My husband doesn't dive and he doesn't come to the dive site. I have to lug all that gear by myself... hey- will YOU be my buddy (insert fluttering eyelashes here) pretty please? It sounds like your wife has you well trained!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom