Quarry dives...do you log them as "official dives"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There a quarry close to where my wife and I live that allows diving...in fact they turned it into a sort of diving park. the depths range from 20 feet to 100 +. We're thinking of using it for skills dives, deep diving practice, etc.

Here's the question. Would these dives qualify as open water dives or are they defined as closed water dives? Please no flame wars, just mellow opinions.

They are open water dives and can be logged as such. Bathtubs and swimming pools and maybe a small pond I would definitely not log.

I log all quarry dives as OW dives.

Open water dives. I was certified Open Water in a Quarry, I did my Nitrox dives in a quarry, and I'll most likely do my Advanced Open Water in a quarry....

I would say they count.

Count 'em. There's not much else close by to dive in some areas....

I was certified in a quarry (OW) and did PPB, Nitrox, Dig Photo, all in the quarry :)

If it is deep enough to turn on the computer then log it. If not then go deeper.

Yes, as long as it's more than 10 foot deep, dive it and log it. Just keep in mind that quarries get quite cold under the thermalcline.

FD

Of course, I bet the number of certified quarry divers equals lake certified divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom