Quarry dives...do you log them as "official dives"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiousity - when you dive quarries, what is there to see down there? Do they have any fish? Any wrecks?

I am fortunate that I live relative close to Monterey and am able to do some great dives out there.

Are dives in those large tourist attraction aquariums OW? They seem closed but there is plenty of sea life to check out and swim with. I am diving at one in Colorado this weekend. I hear there's a cool one at Epcot in FL that lets you dive too. Even if its not technically OW it should be fun.

reefugee:
Just out of curiousity - when you dive quarries, what is there to see down there? Do they have any fish? Any wrecks?

I am fortunate that I live relative close to Monterey and am able to do some great dives out there.

Cripes. Are you diving to see stuff, or to dive? :wink:

Many are full of junk (cars, old mining stuff, clothes, bullets, bottles, cans, etc.) and have fishes. Some have wrecks but usually only as result of intentional placement for divers to have fun.

My rule is if it's deeper than the LDS pool (14 ft), then I log it. But that's my rule. It's your log book. If you want to log even a pool dive, then go ahead. I don't see any reason not to log quarry dives. In fact they can be a challenge because of the water temp, and depth.

I dive the local quarries for practice. They're all "skill" dives, for me...

I read a few years ago that there was a place you could dive an old flooded nuclear missle silo. If I remember correctly it was about 50' in diameter and 120' deep. That might not count as open water but it would sure count for deep water.

badger70:
Are dives in those large tourist attraction aquariums OW? They seem closed but there is plenty of sea life to check out and swim with. I am diving at one in Colorado this weekend. I hear there's a cool one at Epcot in FL that lets you dive too. Even if its not technically OW it should be fun.

I would, but only to help me remember the dive as a one time thing. If it was my job to clean the tank, I would not log them.

After 50 or so dives a log book is really just there as a diary of your dives and a reference for things like your weighting and such. Unless you want to be a divemaster or instructor. But I hear there is plenty of logbook forging to be an instructor-pretty sad.

Yep.

some quarry dives need and develop more skills than calm shallow reef dives. For example, we have a quarry close, depth over 250', temperature year round is in the lower 40's under the thermocline, with some artificial wrecks and fish. If you only dived tropical reefs, you should find some nice challenges on that site. :)

reefugee:

It depends on what's been sunk there.

Gilboa has a lot of variety.
http://www.divegilboa.com/diving.shtm

badger70:

I logged my dive at Epcot aquarium. The depth was >15 ft and the dive was ~30 minutes long. Definitely qualified to be logged. It was lots of fun. Not something that I'd do often or maybe even again (it's pricey!) but I enjoyed myself.

Back
Top Bottom