Quality of Aqualung Zuma or Stiletto Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanomad

Contributor
Reaction score
I like to re-acquire a BCD mainly for travel but want something rugged as I used to have the Brigade from Zeagle.
Tossed between the Zuma (the Cressi Air travel is out) and Stiletto right now. Just got the Zuma from my LDS but am not convinced about its workmanship, seems a bit "cheap" especially some of the stitching. I know the new 2014 models have better material than previous versions 420D now. But around the tank strap and top strap the leatherette stitching and cutout seem dodgy. Wonder how many dives it will hold up before some pinching or damage happens? I read some earlier reviews (2010 /2011) of Zuma ripped / torn bladder.
The overall weight for travel of this BCD is VERY tempting though.

How would the Stiletto fair? Before jumping in the water with one I guess I would have to option to go back to the LDS and change my mind and get the Stiletto as they carry it as well. But the integrated weight rip cord system and additional weight is well not so tempting....

Decisions decisions

Do they also carry the Express Tech Deluxe? It will actually take doubles so I'd guess the strength rating is better than the Zuma.

Express Tech Deluxe - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems
Capture.JPG

Scubatoys apparently still has the non-deluxe version if you want something more minimal. Zeagle Express Tech BCD discounts on sale Zeagle

Both take either Zeagle weight system also - ZipTouch or RipCord.

I own a stiletto, very well made and an excellent choice. I have a friend with a Zuma, another good choice.

I prefer my Stiletto to the Zuma for 3 reasons. I think the rip cord integrated system is a plus, not a minus, the system makes sense to me. I have never dropped a weight pouch and to release the weights is quick and foolproof IMO. Though I will admit rethreading the cord is a pain in the butt. It also has double tank bands, it makes for a more stable platform for the tank. Those are just my opinions and 3 reasons I bought the Stiletto instead of the Zuma. I also think the Stiletto will withstand more abuse than the Zuma.

My friend that has the Zuma likes it because it is a bit lighter and easier to pack. He is quite happy with his Zuma.

I am willing to give up a couple of pounds for something that is a bit more rugged.

I don't know that I can say anything bad about either of them. I just like the Stiletto for the reasons I mentioned. YMMV

My son uses a XXS Zuma and it's a good BCD, just lacking in attachment points. Me and my wife each have a Scubapro Go and love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have you looked at the Zeagle Covert if you are looking for travel BC. Packs very small and is made with the same weight material as the Stiletto and Ranger. The Zeagle Express Tech is also travel friendly and adaptable to many types of diving.

Yes I looked at them online and they seem promising. But no local dive shop here carries them. I prefer to try it on. Buying online and taking it on holiday just to find out it doesng work well is not great. Wish LDS would carry at least one of the models of ea. Manuf. they are authorized for.
Have you looked at the Zeagle Covert if you are looking for travel BC. Packs very small and is made with the same weight material as the Stiletto and Ranger. The Zeagle Express Tech is also travel friendly and adaptable to many types of diving.

I too, am looking at a lighter, traveling BC - I'm also looking at the Zeagle Covert and the Aqualung Zuma - I previously owned the lazer - which was an excellent BC - just a little too much bulk. I agree it's hard to decide when opportunity to try on is limited. Leaning towards the Zeagle because I know the quality is excellent - would love to hear from anyone who has a Covert.

Back
Top Bottom