Dive Rite Hydro Lite review thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AgentKooper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
A bad rental experience recently finally motivated me to invest in my own gear. I'm landlocked, and my dive travel mostly involves flying to warm water destinations, so it was a priority to get something that would be easy to travel with. I decided to check out the Dive Rite Hydro Lite after seeing some reviews that looked promising:

Dive Rite Hydro Lite BCD - Underwater Journal

The Best Scuba BCDs of 2020 Reviewed

My only experience with it so far is a practice session in the pool at my LDS, but first impressions were good. I'm heading to Mexico for five days of diving next week, so I'll be able to post better impressions after that. But for now:

I'm 6'3" and 185 pounds, with a 39ish" chest. That puts me at the upper end of the medium size range according to Dive Rite size chart. I ordered both a medium and a large, and sure enough, the medium fit best. According to the product manual, the only difference between the sizes is the length of the straps. The shoulder straps on the large were too long and weren't able to be shortened enough to sit properly on my shoulders.

The Hydro Lite seems well-made and sturdy. It's a minimalist set-up, which appeals to me. Plenty of D-rings for accessories (for me, a cutter, SMB, and torch). The weight pockets are well-designed.

This is my first experience with a back-inflating style BC, and so far it feels good. I felt stable and well-positioned, though again, this was just in the pool. Based on the Divers Ready review, I bought some trim weight pockets with it, but didn't feel a need for those yet.

The hiking backpack style harness felt very comfortable and secure, and supported the tank well when exiting and walking around the pool.

The two main criticisms I've seen have been the lengths of the inflator hose and the secondary tank strap. The inflator hose does seem a little shorter than I've experienced with other BCs, but it was still well within reach and didn't present any difficulties or awkwardness for me. Also, the secondary tank strap length seemed fine - it secured well and stayed fastened the whole time.

All in all, first impressions were good. I'm eager to see how it travels and performs in open water, and I'll post more impressions after that.

Back from Mexico. I was very happy with how the Hydro Lite performed. It was easy to pack in my checked suitcase, and also didn't take up much space in my gear bag on dive days. It performed as well in the ocean as my initial impressions in the pool suggested it would. My buoyancy skills have improved in general, so I don't know how much credit to attribute to this BC, but I did find it easy to stay in good horizontal position. Also, staying upright at the surface with the BC inflated was not a problem (as I've heard can sometimes be an issue with back-inflating BCs).

I don't have any complaints about the Hydro Lite at all. My dive buddy was impressed with the streamlined design, for whatever that's worth. The backpacking style harness came in handy on one of our cenote dives. It was a longish walk from the truck to the water, and the Hydro Lite carried the tank comfortably on my back, distributing the weight to my hips.

Another view. Just reporting-not taking sides.

That sucks about the stitching coming loose. I would have sent it back if it came in that way.
As to everything else, they all sound like skill issues being blamed on equipment.
Dive gear that floats you in trim while you are trying to kneel on the bottom sounds great. Why are you kneeling on the bottom? Seriously, why?

That sucks about the stitching coming loose. I would have sent it back if it came in that way.
As to everything else, they all sound like skill issues being blamed on equipment.
Dive gear that floats you in trim while you are trying to kneel on the bottom sounds great. Why are you kneeling on the bottom? Seriously, why?
I think they still have people kneel in the sand while demonstrating basic skills early in cert process, but I am not sure. I don't find that a particularly compelling criticism. I think perhaps DiveRite needs a bit better quality control and should have done a better job on the tank strap. I, too, would have sent it back and gotten one without the stitching issue, or at least have expected a new cover.

Agreed that I would return a BC with that stitching flaw. I'd note the workmanship on mine seems great. The secondary tank strap on mine is longer than the one shown in the video and isn't an issue. I haven't experienced any issues being pitched forward while wearing it. Admittedly, I haven't tried to be on my knees on the bottom (because, I agree, why would I?). But I'm currently taking a stress and rescue class in which we're practicing emergency ascent techniques and problem-solving buddy equipment issues underwater, and I haven't had any trouble whatsoever staying upright as necessary or maneuvering in any way. To the extent the back inflating design facilitates staying in good trim, I think that's a positive.

I also haven't experienced any problems with the straps being "fiddley," as that reviewer put it. It goes on and off like a backpack -- pretty simple. I'll be at the pool tonight and will check what it's like to remove and put on in the water. I'll report back on any excessive fiddliness, and while I'm at it will see how long I can stay upright on my knees.

Took it off and and put it on in the pool repeatedly last night in the pool in various simulated emergency situations. No issues. It was also easy to stay upright on my knees at the bottom, though I was occupied trying to get an "unconscious" diver off the floor, so I wasn't just kneeling there doing nothing.

On the chance you have email alerts enabled; how is the BCD holding up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom