Pushing out a little further beyond the Hill 400 Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
This week I found Hill 400 one of the longer ways via Roller Coaster and the Bats.

So I've thinking about pushing a little further, but as I am doing my research there is less and less video off the major lines.

The lines that I am looking at would be Hiller Tunnel, further along Double Lines, and Skid Row.

I found a video what I think is the Hiller Tunnel and it appears to be a fairly typical Ginnie tunnel. But I could be wrong, the parts of the video weren't labeled, just going based on sections I recognized.

I've poked in a little on Double Lines. I got the impression of it being very low and silty. There appears to be some restrictions pretty far back, or on the far end of the line where it circles around to the Hill 400 line. But those are all single x, not sure if they are horizontal or vertical. The far one at the apex is probably beyond my range.

The last line is Skid Row, I've only peaked at it, so I know nothing.

Finally am I being over the top for considering putting a safety bottle in, like at Roller Coaster or at Hill 400? I know that from there I can make it out on a single AL80 if the absolute worst happens.

My recollection of the Hillar Tunnel is I fit with 2x SM 85s and my Meg but I was very close to the floor. So the Xs represent that it's definitely single file (for big stretches) but not that small. Hillar and Double Lines are basically the same character or were in my memory to me.

I dont think there's a single thing wrong with leaving a safety for a couple hours. Just dont get yourself overconfident

Generally speaking I'd rather use the stage to get there and poke around with full main tanks rather than leaving a full safety. Having said that, I don't think it over the top in anyway to drop a safety, especially when solo (sounds like you are diving solo).
Just make sure you carry some extra gas when going into low and silty areas.

This week I found Hill 400 one of the longer ways via Roller Coaster and the Bats.

So I've thinking about pushing a little further, but as I am doing my research there is less and less video off the major lines.

The lines that I am looking at would be Hiller Tunnel, further along Double Lines, and Skid Row.

I found a video what I think is the Hiller Tunnel and it appears to be a fairly typical Ginnie tunnel. But I could be wrong, the parts of the video weren't labeled, just going based on sections I recognized.

I've poked in a little on Double Lines. I got the impression of it being very low and silty. There appears to be some restrictions pretty far back, or on the far end of the line where it circles around to the Hill 400 line. But those are all single x, not sure if they are horizontal or vertical. The far one at the apex is probably beyond my range.

The last line is Skid Row, I've only peaked at it, so I know nothing.

Finally am I being over the top for considering putting a safety bottle in, like at Roller Coaster or at Hill 400? I know that from there I can make it out on a single AL80 if the absolute worst happens.
yea you're being over the top. you don't need a safety for these dives

My recollection of the Hillar Tunnel is I fit with 2x SM 85s and my Meg but I was very close to the floor. So the Xs represent that it's definitely single file (for big stretches) but not that small. Hillar and Double Lines are basically the same character or were in my memory to me.

I dont think there's a single thing wrong with leaving a safety for a couple hours. Just dont get yourself overconfident
hillier tunnel is scooterable in backmount with stages
i did part of my rb80 class back there in an 85 rack. maybe a little tight right where it pops onto the main line but nothing crazy

yea you're being over the top. you don't need a safety for these dives
Essentially he would be using a buddy bottle on a solo dive when he drops a 'safety'.
I wouldn't want to discourage people to bring some extra gas, even if it's not that far into the cave.

Essentially he would be using a buddy bottle on a solo dive when he drops a 'safety'.
I wouldn't want to discourage people to bring some extra gas, even if it's not that far into the cave.
question being: why does he think he needs it?
doesn't say he's diving solo in his OP

hillier tunnel is scooterable in backmount with stages
i did part of my rb80 class back there in an 85 rack. maybe a little tight right where it pops onto the main line but nothing crazy

^^this^^

I don't think you will find Hillier restrictive at all.

I don't think anyone has ever died b/c they took to much gas w/ them.

question being: why does he think he needs it?

Honestly I feels a bit spooky back there, and it reassures me to have an extra 75cuft.

But I will be going slowly. It took me three dives going slowly before I did Roller Coaster to Bats to Hill 400. I really only like to introduce a single new nav decision each dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom