Punctured BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No not at all. Learning what tire damage can be safely repaired, and what scraps a tire is the key. That's really my point concerning the BC. Discussing the feasibility of repairing a BC that only the OP has seen is really not too useful.

Tobin

Tobin,

I get your point, but the point I'm making has nothing to do with what the OP has seen or with any specific BC. I'm just saying, as simple as scuba equipment really is, it's still pretty mysterious to a lot of normal, smart people just because they're not familiar with it, and this is pretty normal.

Telling us how easy it really is and how much experience and success you've personally had working on it, isn't really here or there, and doesn't address how natural it is (or isn't) for someone unfamiliar with something to have apprehension towards it. Further, doing so here is just preaching to the choir :)

I could respect that nearly everyone on this board is a manly-man who patches the holes and tears in their own 4x4 truck tires. I just find it slightly odd that, carrying the analogy on, so many people would make fun of someone who didn't know how to patch a tire. And though this crowd may not believe it, I bet for most people a BC+wing is way more intimidating to mess with than a rim+tire.

OK I'm done.

I dove with a leaking BC for about 14 months....It had hundreds of very small holes in the top section and although it didn't affect my diving too much i replaced it recently. I used air a bit quicker than normal but nothing too bad happened.

Tobin,

I get your point, but the point I'm making has nothing to do with what the OP has seen or with any specific BC. I'm just saying, as simple as scuba equipment really is, it's still pretty mysterious to a lot of normal, smart people just because they're not familiar with it, and this is pretty normal.

Telling us how easy it really is and how much experience and success you've personally had working on it, isn't really here or there, and doesn't address how natural it is (or isn't) for someone unfamiliar with something to have apprehension towards it. Further, doing so here is just preaching to the choir :)

I could respect that nearly everyone on this board is a manly-man who patches the holes and tears in their own 4x4 truck tires. I just find it slightly odd that, carrying the analogy on, so many people would make fun of someone who didn't know how to patch a tire. And though this crowd may not believe it, I bet for most people a BC+wing is way more intimidating to mess with than a rim+tire.

OK I'm done.

Gom,

I really have no idea what your point is. I haven't ridiculed anybody for being reluctant to patch either a tire or a BC.

I know what my skill set is, (I do build BC's) but I have consistently recommended that the BC in question be returned to the manufacturer.

Debating the methods and merits of repairing a BC over the internet is not to useful in my opinion.

Tobin

Another way of putting it: I've never removed a tire and patched it before. While some may be perfectly comfortable driving down the highway on a tire they patched themselves, would they be nearly as comfortable if I patched it for them?
Nah, I never removed the tires - didn't even take the wheel off the pickup. Just pump enough air in to re-inflate the leaking tire, plug it and go. Could it fail? Sure, so can a brand new tire. If you're not prepared for tire failure, stay away from steering wheels.

Back to this BC, which is not a tire - some of the above posts have been good ones. Sorry the manufacturer wouldn't work on it; I'd look for a respected LDS or Tech who would. If that failed, yeah - I'd open up the seam and give it a shot. Could it fail? Sure, if you're not prepared for failure, stay out of the water. :wink:

Gom,

I really have no idea what your point is. I haven't ridiculed anybody for being reluctant to patch either a tire or a BC.

Quite understandable, since I was commenting on the original post, and you were answering a tangential thread. We're really not at odds on anything here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom