Punctured BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, despite the "full inflate at depth" amusement, I don't really see the need to make fun of someone who doesn't want to deal with damaged and repaired life support equipment, even if it's partly out of ignorance.

i wouldnt use a defective or repaired bc . but a pin sized hole wouldnt cause me to go totally over board like that .

If he was so worried abouthis gear he should have carried his own gear .

Here's what I would do: If aquaseal and/or super glue don't cut it, then the hole is probably bigger than a pin prick. I managed to plug a hole in my BC about 1x1 cm. Solution? I got a SS bolt and nut and some washers. coated the nut with aquaseal, then fastened the nut, bolt and washers through the hole.

Hasn't leaked since.

Plus, now you can use a little less lead,......theoretically anyway.......

To a properly weighted diver especially in warm water where no BC is really needed anyway I don't see a great issue with a patch.

The bladder is already a collection of panels and seams. Done right I don't see a problem with a patch.

If the damage is adjacent to a seam or port then it may be questionable.

Hey Halthron, what did the guy say when you told him he had bigger problems if he fully inflated his BC at depth? :D

I'd tell him to repair it himself and then invest the money he saved in either a Peak Performance Buoyancy class or a DAN "Master Level" insurance policy.

A BC is not life support equipment, it is just a bag of air for maintaining some resemblence of neutrality in the water. It is not a life jacket. I had a discussion with the Coast Guard regarding that and they don't think a BC is life support equipment either. You don't even need a BC to scuba and especially in warm water it is just really not needed, just a luxury item. N

Personally, I wouldn't use a BC if the bladder had a repair. Period.

Will you drive on a tire that has had a leak repaired? Brakes repaired? Fuel system repaired? Those are much more dangerous than a BC repair.

When we look at a BC it is a sheet of material, be it some sort of plastic, rubber or other somewhat airtight material. That sheet has been cut up into various shapes and the seams glued together to form the desired shape. The chances are better for a seam failure than a small hole patch that was done properly.

Just because it was a factory built item doesn’t mean it won’t or can’t fail. Things get past inspectors all the time no matter what the item.

If anyone relies on a BC for a Life Saving device they need to rethink its use. It isn’t and was never intended to be a LIFE SAVING device or tool. Even those orange vest or jacket items people call Life Preservers or Life Jackets are not. They are PFD’s or Personal Flotation Devices. Just because you’re wearing one does not guarantee your life will be saved. :wink:

Gary D.

A BC is not life support equipment, it is just a bag of air for maintaining some resemblence of neutrality in the water. It is not a life jacket. I had a discussion with the Coast Guard regarding that and they don't think a BC is life support equipment either. You don't even need a BC to scuba and especially in warm water it is just really not needed, just a luxury item. N

I'd have to disagree. My wife and I were left on the surface on a drift dive one time for 15 minutes due to an emergency. This was in flat calm water but I can't imagine not being with a BC in chop or swells for any extended period.

Will you drive on a tire that has had a leak repaired? Brakes repaired? Fuel system repaired? Those are much more dangerous than a BC repair.

When we look at a BC it is a sheet of material, be it some sort of plastic, rubber or other somewhat airtight material. That sheet has been cut up into various shapes and the seams glued together to form the desired shape. The chances are better for a seam failure than a small hole patch that was done properly.

Just because it was a factory built item doesn’t mean it won’t or can’t fail. Things get past inspectors all the time no matter what the item.

If anyone relies on a BC for a Life Saving device they need to rethink its use. It isn’t and was never intended to be a LIFE SAVING device or tool. Even those orange vest or jacket items people call Life Preservers or Life Jackets are not. They are PFD’s or Personal Flotation Devices. Just because you’re wearing one does not guarantee your life will be saved. :wink:

Gary D.

think of it this way if your car breaks down you eventually roll to a stop brakes dont work use e brake its a cable or your gearing to slow down.. if gas leaks its usally not a big isuse untill it vaporizes and comes into contact with a open flame.. basicly if your car brakes you are more likly to surivie it if you are at 100 feet over weighted and then your bc gives out and you become negative boyenet you have a problem and if you ditch your weight you then become postivly boyent.. its about haveing gear for when you need it and wanting it to work with out anyproblems if the patch blows out at depth and you become sinking you ditch your weight then you start floating up its going to be hard to do your safty stops if you have to swim dowards each time.. i bought my own for the simple reason.. how much is my life worth to me.. 100 200 300... its worth alot more then cheaping out and not replaceing something thats broken and may not be relable..

think of it this way its not a mater of if its not consider a life saveing flotation device if its keeps your head above water when you need it to it can save your life.. it shouldnt be used as a subsatute but if its an emergancy i rather have something that floats then nothing even if you will float with not weight its alot easyer if you are in something keeping you up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom