Pumpkins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I see the Kentucky folks are planning an underwater pumpkin carving contest. I think that sounds like a fun time, and could make for a cool night dive afterward if we lit them up with glow sticks or something.

Anyone interested in doing something like that?

live vicariously

Here's a thought! What are the bouyancy characteristics of your typical carved pumpkin? Does anyone know? Will it float when empty? Anyone from Kentucky reading this and happen to know? :) Of course, there're always rocks we can stick inside for ballast... But yeah, I'd be interested. Sounds like it would make for a fun dive. As long as it's not on the weekend before the Halloween, that is, can't make that one. Would be fun to meet more of the folks from this board, though.

-Roman.

I can totally see myself doing something like that just to get a kick out of it. I bet all the fish would rush to the pumpkin mush for a good snackin'.

Who knows... maybe next year?:D

Now that sounds like a good time! I'll pick a knife fight with a pumpkin over one of those 13ft Mako's any day:wink:

The people we have talked to said that pumpkins are very positive. It has been also recommended that you clean out the pumpkin before the dive to keep vis high.

I hope you all get this going and have a great time with it. Let us know if you have any questions, but remember we haven't done this yet so anything that we say is a guess.

Good luck

Chad

Thanks for the info, Chad. I wonder, depending on how positive a pumpkin is, how hard would it be to rig one into a poor man's lift bag?:)

-Roman.

You may have already thought of this but here's my 2 cents. Why not anchor the pumpkins through the bottom of them to the bottom, easier to manage and wouldn't they look cool floating around with glow lights?

That's an awesome idea! The question is do we leave them anchored on the surface or floating somewhere in the water column? On the surface more people would see them, but they would look pretty cool just hanging and glowing underwater. Of course, underwater they would be mostly for our eyes only (and the camera, of course...). Or we could leave them half way up at first, and then float them on the surface later...

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom